What's the last bit of tech you bought?

+1 for Eero, works flawlessly.

You genius! This must have been why I got a good speed yesterday and then not today, makes sense now. Thank you! :pray:

Thanks for the help everyone, I’ve avoided having to spend for now but won’t rule it out!

6 Likes

Most welcome :raised_hands:t3:

This also happens with phones too hence you’d see variable tests at times.

Glad it’s resolved for you. Have you produced better on the 2ghz? As that uses lower frequencies which are much better for going through floors and walls, similar to mobile signals (lower is better, but slower on data).

Other way around, 5ghz is 50ish, 2ghz is less than 1 :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah, was curious as I’m sure I seen something about thick walls :sweat_smile:

If you’ve a fixed place for the laptop, a power line adapter would be great ie if you’ve a desk upstairs.

Uses Ethernet from router to nearby plug, then travels along power lines in the house to talk to the other end, and push through the Ethernet cable to laptop the other side.

1 Like

When I bought my house 20 years ago it was only just being built, so I got some of the network guys at work to cable it with ethernet sockets in the study/office and living room. They were happy to do it for food and drink :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hate my nanoleaf bulbs so much… last night i laid in bed with my lights on because they… couldnt find my wifi? even though i was on my phone perfectly fine?? happens to me a lot, very annoying i have to go around and manually turn them off like some sort of 2012 caveman

5 Likes

Nanoleaf essentials bulbs? They don’t have wifi at all I believe.

You need a thread border router so they can mesh, otherwise you’re stuck with Bluetooth, and like any other wifi or Bluetooth only bulb, it’s not very reliable at all.

Thread is game changing though if you have the hardware for it. Surpasses the reliability of hue bulbs when used with their Zigbee hub imo.

I have apple home and the nanoleafs are connected via that – is that thread?

I think you’d need to connect them to a homehub to move to the full network connection.

But their customer service is THE WORST so I would always advise to cut your losses with them :grin:

1 Like

They’ll show up in the home app either way if you configure that. The difference between thread and Bluetooth is just how they communicate.

For thread, you need a thread border router connected somewhere in your home that’s connected to wifi. These are quite new and there aren’t many devices on the market that can function as a thread border router. Given that and your issues I’d guess you don’t have one.

HomePod mini is the thread border router I have. I think the latest version of Eero are thread border routers too. There aren’t many other devices on the market yet with this functionality though.

Nanoleaf have a page here;

I own multiple homepod minis (and use them to turn off my lights) and still have the problem, so I guess my experience with nanoleaf is that they are still bad? :sweat_smile:

Possibly! Can’t say I’ve had any issues with thread so far myself though. It’s been pretty flawless.

Could be worth checking for updates. I’m not fully clued into any thread troubleshooting but I can look into it and see if there’s any steps you can take to get things working reliably.

Edit: found this, so I must be very lucky with my setup:

May actually be the HomePods are causing the bad experience and not necessarily the bulbs. Wouldn’t surprise me with the level of hassle it is to actually get them setup and working properly in the first place.

I use a Netgear Orbi which has worked well for me. But I purchased it several years ago and it’s pricey.
If I was looking today I’d probably be considering Deco.

The Wirecutter has it as their budget pick

3 Likes

Have you tried powerline adapters? Plug one in the power socket the router is plugged into, and the other one near the laptop.

Feels like using what you have and not splurging on something new is against the spirit of this thread! :joy:

6 Likes

It definitely is! :rofl:

Changing frequency seems to be working okay for now but otherwise they are my next plan of action.

2 Likes

I’ve bought one of these back in December:

which has helped me tremendously around the house (which although small, has brick walls) - the Wi-Fi 6 speeds and additional bands have helped. Mind you, bear in mind that my main devices all support Wi-Fi 6. For older kit, it still works fine, but I can’t say how well given that the older kit sits closer to the router…

But having switched to Wi-Fi 6 and appropriate router, it’s been so good, I’ve been able to remove my previous Wi-Fi 5 AmpliFi mesh system. The Netgear package I’ve bought comes with one of these too:

… but I’ve not had to use it.

1 Like

Got a sound bar. Nothing fancy, just a £99 Sony one, out of necessity — our TV’s speakers were starting to go, but why replace a perfectly good TV?

The bar itself sounds very different, perhaps a bit flatter than the TV — or maybe it just takes getting used to it? And I really like that the Apple TV can learn to imitate any remote control, so I can still control every function with just the one remote, which I just learned about.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is allowed, so please delete if it isn’t.

My wife bought an M1 MacBook Air last year. She barely uses it, it’s in a case and in great nick. She still has the box. Gonna pop it on eBay shortly, but wondered if anyone on here fancied it for £800 before I do :+1:

1 Like