Thanks for all that detailed info @Rika
I think we would all benefit from a detailed blog post on Monzo’s How money works blog with detailed information on what our rights are and what type of evidence and situations would make for a good strong charge-back claim.
I am going through this right now with a cancelled flight (let’s just called the anonymous airline Brianair ) at the moment, I’ve no idea how to proceed. I haven’t initiated a charge-back but not sure if I should do or just hold on and wait.
An anonymised list of won/lost cases (to follow from your courtroom analogy) to show as examples of when you should be requesting a charge-back and when instead we would be unreasonable to do so, would also be helpful.
Quick look in the internet on what the time limits are, show that for goods and services not provided, you’ve 120 days from anticipated delivery date or cardholder’s realisation of interrupted service. I take it in my case it would be 120 days from cancellation email (or could be 120 days from scheduled time first flight was meant to depart). What happens after this time? Charge-back cannot be processed at all? The only available options then would be to rely on the good nature of Brianair ( <- Me trying not to laugh) or costly involvement of a solicitor? Are Monzo completely powerless after this time?
Is there a time limit by which a company should process a refund they have promised? Or can they just not pay by indefinitely delaying it due to “unforeseen circumstances”. I am a patient man but I don’t want them to run the clock using Covid as an excuse.
What are reasonable grounds to initiate a charge-back?
Flat out refusal to pay back what is yours would be the ideal reason and great evidence to initiate a charge-back, a no-brainer. Is this the only moment when you can initiate a charge-back since you are supposed to “exhaust all other avenues”. I’ve done all I could to ensure this money is refunded but Brianair cannot even give me a rough estimate of how much this process could take, the answer is a directly bland “Impossible for us to say”. At what point should I start worrying and initiate a charge-back? Is this even an option for me?