What was your first job? šŸ’ø

Cleaning offices in Leeds City Centre for my Grandparents business. It was a couple of hours every night (between 7PM and 10PM) and looking back it was pretty much a breeze. Polish some desks, empty some bins and have a good laugh with the rest of the team. Pay was good too, helped me save up for my first car.

My Nan was in hospital recently so I covered her shift back at one of the old buildings. Was weird going back after eight years. It made me laugh because back then, I used to look at all those people still in the offices at 7-8pm and think, why havenā€™t you gone home yet?! Now thatā€™s me when Iā€™ve got my head stuck in a design! :see_no_evil:

Technically, my first job was a paper boy route when I was 10, around 1995. I delivered around 20 national newspapers daily after primary school over a 3 miles route around my large village which took about an hour on my bike. I was paid Ā£5 per week for 5 days work, which for a 10 year old in 1995 (comes to around Ā£9.45 in 2018 prices), wasnā€™t really that bad. I did lie about my age, but I was very tall back then.

My first payroll job was a catering assistant at ASDA, aged 17, on the Food To Go counter as a Christmas temporary worker. They kept me on after until I went to university. I worked 2 evening shifts during the week and the Sunday midday rush. I was paid Ā£4.32 per hour which was above the both the 18-21 and 22+ year olds minimum wage (Ā£3.50 and Ā£4.20 respectfully) in 2003. Hats off to ASDA, although I do remember I had a worse contract to my colleagues as I was after the 1999 Walmart purchase.

1 Like

I was 18 when I got my first job. It was telemarketing- for an insurance upgrade or something and loathed it. Paid Ā£4/ hour + commission but we got verbal abuse from supervisors every day and unsurprisingly, the turnover rate was high. I lasted only a month.

2 Likes

Telemarketing, the kind of awful industry that really shouldnā€™t exist. Glad youā€™re out of there!

1 Like

My first proper full time permanent job at 16 was as a coal miner. Canā€™t remember the pay, but it wasnā€™t enough.

2 Likes

I felt awful working as the sort of person I personally disliked receiving calls from :weary: some people were genuinely lovely and Iā€™ve since tried to be a bit more gracious while hanging up on cold callers :joy: I still cba with ā€œI heard you were in a car accidentā€¦ā€ ones. I donā€™t own a car!! Go away!!

3 Likes

My first job was at a bargain department store called TJ Hughes (pretty sure itā€™s gone bankrupt).

Ā£2.53ph paid weekly in cash.

1 Like

I had one of those only this afternoon. She started off with the usual, ā€œHello Iā€™d like to talk to you about the car accident you were recently inā€

To which I replied, ā€œOh before you do, Iā€™d like to talk to you about the life choices you took which led you to being the type of annoying c-nt whoā€™ll call my phone and make sh-t upā€

At which the whole office burst out laughing. And she paused for two seconds, made an ā€œummā€ sound, and hung up.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve gone for the full list of jobs over 24 years Iā€™ve had 8 employers

British legion glass collector aged 14/15 got sacked for wanting to go on Holiday
McDonaldā€™s 16/17 Ā£2.66 an hour not enough for value meal that was Ā£2.88 really hard work
Asda curry pot then selling petrol fun during the strikes
L&g placement year almost got sacked for telling a colleague job was boring - good lesson to learn on who to trust
Deliver curries final year of uni - free food
Trainee accountant - infrastructure company awesome team such a laugh made redundant nice pay off
Software company temp contract resigned after 3 month manager was horrible cost them Ā£8k recruitment fee
Accountant housing association - current job

1 Like

I donā€™t know how anyone actually falls for those?? How many people do they have to call before they even find someone who was in a car accident? They need a better line!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s still a big store in Glasgow!!

The calls stopped for a while after I asked them if I could claim since I was drunk when I crashed into the police car :grin:

(For clarity I donā€™t drive)

5 Likes

I used to sell eggs in Bernards the Butchers in Guildford (top of North Street).

Iā€™d:

1. Unpack them (small, medium and, yes, large from the metre-square trays and stack them up in three huge piles.

2. Sell them

3. Repeat 1 & 2 all day and then - you guessed it.

4. Do the reverse of 1

Iā€™ve never been the same sinceā€¦:flushed:

5 Likes

Sounds egg-citing

Why not just keep them in the trays and sell them like that?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about!!!

But oh no, they wouldnā€™t listen. And I havenā€™t mentioned the lake of broken egg residue in the bottom of the box at the close of business.

Itā€™s all coming backā€¦:scream::scream::scream:

2 Likes

I was a house porter at a hotel, suited and booted with a blonde Mohawk to make Jedward jealous!

2 Likes

Pics or it didnā€™t happen!!

1 Like

FB_IMG_1533939578084

ā€¦ Thatā€™s no where near it at its longestā€¦

5 Likes

A model and TV extra as a kid.

As in my first day to day job? Checkout operator at 16.

1 Like