What to do when you find a lost bank card

If you look at the top of the last screenshot you’ll see it says the item found was a bank card, and then proceeds to say you can hand it in to a police station.

IMHO @anon70107404’s initial post suggests with absolute certainty that the police do not accept valuable lost property across the UK, when that’s demonstrably not the case. (and to be honest, while perhaps well intentioned, also necroed a thread to make a point).

1 Like

Nobody has said this. Police Scotland (and Scottish law) differs to England and Wales.

Nope. I’ve said what the police have said. That they have no statutory duty to deal with lost property.

I’ve also acknowledged that there may be variations between forces. 43 different solutions.

I don’t make the rules. People are keen to shoot the messenger. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Apologies, I wasn’t having a go at you personally but at the general UK statement. It seems that even in England there are variations.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Yeah, there certainly are variations, despite there being a National (England and Wales) policy.

If we come back to the original question of what to do with a found bank card, I’d suggest just cutting it up. The loser will contact their bank when they realise and have the card cancelled and reissued. :+1:

3 Likes

Just close this misinformation thread.

• If you find card on its own you call the issuing bank no need to waste police time.
  • if you find a wallet you hand into police. The person could have been victim of crime or may want the wallet & contents back either way.
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.