What really grinds your gears?

(Dan) #394

Congratulations on your first ever dishwasher!

Okay, here goes.

Cutlery: organise by cutlery (forks, spoons, knives all grouped together and stacked neatly). Larger utensils such as tongs, large spoons, chef’s knives should be appropriately stacked in a way that does not collect water (don’t put the large spoons in face up).

Plates: stacked neatly together, bowls face down near the back of the dishwasher.

Glasses stacked neatly on one side, cups on the other side.

USE THE HEIGHT ADJUSTERS. Most people don’t know about these from what I’ve found. See a crap video here. And refill the rinse aid and dishwasher salt as soon as it’s run out.

If you stack neatly in an organised manner, you are more likely to have a cleaner load and it makes things easier to put away. It’s basic logic and common sense. If anyone out there agrees with me, please tell my partner.

(Richard) #395

I can’t argue with this…

my daughter is a nightmare for loading the dishwasher. Overloads it, puts big spoons or ladles in face up and always puts in non-dishwasher items.

Grinds my gears!

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #396

Mind blown! :exploding_head:

I’m one of those that didn’t know about these :open_mouth:

(Nick) #397

An excellent guide generally, but one point It’ll disagree with. Cutlery. Avoid grouping it together, particularly spoons. They’ll nest together and won’t get properly cleaned.

A general thing to remember which I think is obvious but from watching other family members loaf the dishwasher clearly isn’t is - FACE TOWARDS THE MIDDLE. That’s where the water jets come from, and if things aren’t faced at then they won’t get cleaned. One thing i find happening all the time is people trying to cram in another mug or two and managing to do so buy having it tilting towards the wall. That mug isn’t going to get cleaned.

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #398

A bit like when you tell folk they can reverse their fridge door so it opens easier in their kitchen!

(Colin Robinson) #399

Or that the timer on the toaster is minutes, not shades of brown.

I can deal with a few things a bit unorganised in a dishwasher, but I used to live with someone that would put things on top of each other in a way that the water would be blocked from ever cleaning the stuff on top.

I tried to explain a few times and was convinced cleaned by magic. In hindsight, it’s probably more likely it was done deliberately to annoy me, or just laziness as they knew I’d probably sort it anyway!

Something that grinds my gears more is all the conversation about when people are offended.

I’m tired of both sides… People getting outraged over trivial things just as much as articles showing a few tweets as public outrage when it’s hardly anything at all.

(Ravi) #402

What is it with people on motorway slip roads cruising along at 30mph? Speed up for god’s sake!!! Why would you want to join the flow at half the speed of the oncoming cars?

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #403

And on those slip roads where there are two lanes, the reason for the longer one is for people like you who need 10 miles to get up to 70mph. Move over!

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #404

Reminds me of teaching my partner to drive.

“Go on. Go on. Faster. FASTER. FIND YOUR GAP!!”

(Herp Derp) #405

When you’re on public transport it’s -5 said train/bus/tube is just warming up and some inconsiderate d.head opens a window!

But I always feel warm on the train/bus/tube

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #407

You could just take your coat off, then it doesn’t effect everyone else :man_shrugging:

I thankfully don’t have to use public transport often. Must be 15+ years since I’ve been on a bus.

I don’t wear a coat :slight_smile:

((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻) #409

All these sound like your problems :wink:

Perhaps, but I’m the centre of my universe, surely everyone else has to accommodate me? :wink:

I’m getting bored of people being offended on behalf of someone else because they’ve seen a tweet and I blame the media even more for highlighting it in the first place.

The world has evolved into a sorry state of affairs where the amount of likes and shares are more important than the actual issue being discussed.

also, there’s a lot of people drive down the left hand lane of a slip road despite the Motorway being on the right hand side, they cant see the oncoming traffic until the last minute…

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #413

I’d be very worried if there was oncoming traffic on a motorway :scream: