What really grinds your gears?

Those airport machines that are supposed to speed you through document checks, which are so rubbish an equal number of operatives as machines are required. Stand closer/further, put your passport in 7 more times grrrrr!

4 Likes

Oh God, airports. :scream: I feel like I’m angry the moment I step into one.

From BS security theatre to being forced to walk through duty free to offensively expensive food. :face_vomiting::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

If you think it’s security theatre, what do you think is essential security at an airport?

I love airports and I’d be happy to work in one. There’s something about the atmosphere that I like, all those happy holiday people and shiny floors :laughing:

Showing your boarding pass when getting a sandwich is a bit much though :exploding_head:

2 Likes

A friend of mine said the same thing and I couldn’t wrap my head around it. :sweat_smile: They’re utterly hateful places to me.

@j06 I have no idea, but it certainly isn’t stealing my toothpaste. :laughing:

I do love an airport as well! :nerd_face:

1 Like

Maybe I traveled through Bristol airport too often when it was at its worst. :sweat_smile: Two hour waits in the security queue will colour your impressions somewhat.

The fact I’ve walked through those automated passport machines a handful of times (I remained hopeful!) just to get rejected each time and go to the officer drove me mad, but moreso when I asked the last one why it wasn’t working. It transpires that the chip in my 6 month old passport doesn’t work and none of them had bothered to tell me?! :neutral_face:

1 Like

I was at one of those passport machines once when the woman in the machine next to me triggered some alarm. As in flashing red lights and a loud urgent siren filling the room. None of the staff even blinked and she just walked around to a human passport officer to get out. :sweat_smile: Makes you wonder what the alarm was for.

2 Likes

When I fly I always go through premium check in and passport control which is extra handy when you fly when there are millions of families all trying to get through… just go to the desk they take your stuff and bam through in minutes compared to normal.

1. Checking the ground staff
  2. x-raying bags without stupid rules around liquids
  3. profiling
1 Like

I wondered how necessary the liquids scanning was or what exactly they were scanning for the other day, when I managed to accidentally smuggle an entire 500ml bottle of coke through security in Germany. They didn’t seem that bothered about it, unless they missed it entirely which would be quite alarming…

When I put liquids in plastic bags they’d steal them for being over the limit. Now I don’t put them in a plastic bag, they don’t look/care, and I get to keep my stuff.

2 Likes
  1. Make sure physical security between the “public” and “secure” area of the airport is good. In a lot of cases whatever access control system they use (the secure-looking keypads & card readers) are either full of vulnerabilities (spoiler alert: they’re all networked :smirk:) or simply misconfigured and have default credentials.

People who fill Pot Noodles with boiling water to the brim.

7 Likes

Anyone 20+ still eat these?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Oh this one has been driving me nuts. I always correct learners even though it is kind of correct but doesn’t sound right to my ear

I found out several flavours are vegan the other day (including beef :joy:). Not a good discovery for my nutrition.

2 Likes

That actually makes me more likely to eat them tbh. I’d imagined bits of cattle that barely qualify as beef.

4 Likes