What phone do you use?

QC35 will change your life!!! I adore my Bose headphones. Made the jump when I got my iPhone7 and I’ve not looked back. epic battery life & you even get a cable in case your battery dies but in the 9 months I’ve had mine they’ve never died!

2 Likes

@simonb the bose generally are considered to have the best ANC but I don’t know any audiophile that would say they are great sound quality.

Personally I use these https://www.whathifi.com/psb/m4u2/review and love them. Slightly inferior noise reduction but oh so much better audio.

1 Like

Not now I’ve voted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The 10th anniversary edition is something I’m looking forward to :eyes: I might stick to my current phone then, I’ve used the iPhone 7 since my dad and my bf both own it and I dislike the home button- I’m used to pressing a button but on the iPhone 7 it does not “sink in”- it feels weird to the touch! Shakes the phone when it is pressed, too. Just one of those things I’d find really annoying to adjust to- and I use my phone a lot, so I find myself having a charger and earphones in at the same time for most of my trips out.

1 Like

@Choppie There are some amazing devices (for their price, they are not flagships, they are cheap, decent devices that should last 2 years at least) from Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo (a bit steeper price though) or Doogee (this one has amazing value, IMO). I didn’t compare your S4 specs to any of them, but I’m sure some can definitely be an upgrade.

@simonb Just to throw another headphone suggestion into the mix… My personal daily driver:

A wonderful set of headphones, I won’t barrage the thread with links but check out the reviews :slight_smile: TLD Today on YouTube gives them a glowing review, I’ve been using these for 11 months (pretty much every single day for hours at a time) the battery life is immense! (with both NC enabled or disabled)

Having tried both the Bose QC35 and the Sony’s… The Sony’s take the win for me - Despite being a big Bose fan, having 2 pairs of their incredible in ear headphones :heart_eyes:

Commuting, running / gym, working, relaxing, these headphones can do it all! I forget I’m wearing them sometimes :smiley: The only thing I wish I’d done is gone for the black version… The yellow had an unbeatable discount at the time :joy: But they certainly aren’t subtle… :wink:

2 Likes

I’m an iPhone 7 Plus user, will be probably get the iPhone 8, although the Samsung Galaxy 8 looks nice and I’m keen to give Android another chance, but there is just something about the iPhone that makes me always go Apple and I can’t place my finger on it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Bit random but for Apple fans have you seen the article about the iPhone 8 possibly having no physical home button? http://ind.pn/2f6dR94

The lack of something you could press was one of my gripes for the iPhone 7, but it seems like they’re doing away with it entirely?

1 Like

Maybe haptic feedback will improve to become more localised and meet your requirements! I’ve actually become accustomed to my i7’s haptic feedback on just the first level (lowest).
It’s definitely something that’s love/hate with most people but I loved it at the Apple store so I picked one up :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as were aware the home button will be embedded under the screen so there will still be one it just wont be a physical button. Obviously nothing is guaranteed until we see the phone next month but im hoping Apple can pull this one off.

Final expected phone design

My biggest concern is the lack of Touch ID. I don’t trust face recognition and it won’t work in a lot of situations where Touch ID would (I don’t have to be looking straight at my phone for example), and in some cases might unlock when I don’t want it to (what if I look at my phone just to see the time on the lock screen but don’t want it to unlock?)…

I personally find it very hard to believe they’ll ship a phone without TouchID. Especially one that costs more.

2 Likes

Well they could do the same as the headphone jack and pretend it’s “courage”. Obviously we all knew this was BS and there is still no good technical reason to remove the jack, but that hasn’t prevented the new phone from selling well so Apple could use it as an example to deprecate Touch ID the same way. :expressionless:

1 Like

Whilst I personally would prefer the headphone jack, the technical reason for removing it is the volume it takes in the phone which they decided could be put to better use.

1 Like

I have an iPhone 6 in silver and I can now literally pull the screen and base apart (it still works fine) so feel I need to upgrade. I only upgrade for a good feature so I am waiting for the fully waterproof iPhone (the iPhone 7 is only water resistant).

No such thing! The iphone 7 is IP67 meaning fully dust proof and can be submerged to 1m for 30 mins. The top rating is IP68 which can be submerged (generally to 3m) indefinitely. The difference is irrelevant in my view - you are either going to drop it in the loo or the bath, which would be covered by IP67 or overboard, in which case it’s gone unless you have scuba gear. :grin:

Waterproof is a term not used by any manufacturer these days as it is simply impossible. Even high end watch manufacturers will only claim water resistant to a given depth. Put pretty much anything (other than boaty mcboatface) in enough depth of water and it will leak.

3 Likes

Okay, I will be more precise in my reasoning. I only upgrade an iPhone for a good feature which will be useful to me. For example, I didn’t upgrade my iPhone 4S until the NTFC chip was added to the iPhone 6 for ApplePay.

A water resistant iPhone 7 is useless for my as if I dropped my iPhone 6 into the bath or toilet - I’d have to replace it anyway with an iPhone 7. So why waste money until it happens. I want a greater depth iPhone due to a very very slight chance in my job it could get damaged in up to 2-5 metres of water in an emergency. No other features on a recent iPhone (or other phone to be fair) interest me. It has to be useful in my life, however remote that is.

You might be waiting a long time before you find any phone that can sustain a depth of 5 metres for anything more than a few minutes.

I go sailing occasionally and use one of these:

Additional benefit over any water resistant phone is that it floats :smile:

2 Likes

iPhone 7 Plus here - and I’ll be grabbing a new iPhone this year. I’m already running the iOS 11 beta and both the prepay and current account apps seem to be running almost flawlessly at the moment.

1 Like

I’ve been really impressed with iOS 11 beta - especially like the option to determine when apps can see my location - hi uber!

The new notification screen took a little getting used to.

Drag and drop on the ipad is cool, just need an ipad ready monzo app :slight_smile:

3 Likes