What other fintech apps/banks do people use or recommend?

Wouldn’t it be a case though if you paid with a credit card selected using the curve debit card then Curve can make the chargeback as its between them and the merchant regardless of the customers card used? Or are you saying you don’t trust Curve to dispute a transaction if asked?

Merchant < > Curve < > Customer

I don’t think they’ll refuse to dispute the transaction but the fact of the matter is with most banks and credit cards they’re more orientated to make things right for the customer which often involves the bank paying out even when they can’t recover the funds. The smaller banks and other fintechs simply can’t afford this.

The thing is the transaction between Curve and the Merchant is completely separate to the subsequent transaction between Curve and the Customer.

I would hope Curve would follow the same process as if Monzo was putting in a claim. I don’t think it being Curve or a big legacy like HSBC would have any affect on if the claim was successful or not as it would be Mastercard making the decision based on the evidence provided. To Mastercard the card used for the transaction was a debit mastercard.

Whilst you are raising the claim, the claim is between curve and the merchant, now if Curve said nah we aren’t going to action your request and Curve is still passing on the charge to you I think they would get in shit pretty quickly with the financial ombudsman.

You’re right in that to MasterCard they don’t care who it is - but HSBC would be significantly more likely to write off the charge once it failed if the customer has genuinely been wronged whereas Curve couldn’t afford to do so.

Look at all the Thomas Cook issues - will the chargebacks even be successful if the money isn’t there? The big banks certainly won’t be taking the early refunds back from customers if they don’t end up getting the money they paid out in advance.

Usually doesn’t happen like this c.f. all CC payments made through PayPal.

The chargebacks aren’t with the bank’s money though it’s the merchants, so the bank with MasterCard approval is helping recover the money out of the merchant account and putting it back in yours. The merchant is also fined a small amount to cover the costs involved.

I don’t know what happens if the merchant no longer has an active bank account, but I don’t think it would be coming out of Curves pocket.

It wouldn’t be coming out of Curve’s pocket because they wouldn’t be paying it, I think the next steps would be to (probably unsuccessfully) apply to the administrators or whatever to get whatever you can back.

Well that’s a question for Curve help. If @simonb had bought through Thomas Cook and used his curve debit card and was slow to get a chargeback done whilst it had an active account, and tried to do one now, would Curve give the money back to Simon whilst it was attempting to recover the money. The transaction was between Curve and the customer but they probably have some Ts&C’s to cover them so they aren’t losing out. Curve may apply to administrators to recover their money but only give it back if successful.

I think going back to using Curve for credit cards we’re talking about the everyday mundane purchases which are below £100. For those risky special purchases above you can purposely have your credit card to hand to pay with or use Google/Apply pay with that credit card selected and not use Curve for those specific instances.

1 Like

Yeah but PayPal and paying with a credit card is a no-no regardless, so that applies with and without Curve as a factor.

Barclaycard credit cards use Visa.

In terms of fintech theres JaJa and Tymit but both in beta.

1 Like

I only really use Curve outside of Monzo and that’s only really while I’m away as I have a legacy black account with no limits on overseas transactions.

I was recently in Amsterdam and used Curve as my primary card while I was there with my Halifax Credit Card selected, I literally saved a 3% fee on every transaction I made while there so 100% worth it.

(Also top tip, if you add your Monzo card to Curve to withdraw cash while you’re away you can get more than the £200 Monzo allows for free - how much depends on the subscription you have with Curve though)

I did have Chip and Plum, but closed them both as no real benefits or incentives to keep them open. @andrewpclark see Chip’s Community for further reasoning. Although they both helped me save, I can do all this manually within Monzo Pots and if I open an Pot with Interest I can do that in Monzo, something Chip does not do at all. Plum was good but I felt that their internal transaction speeds were very slow to show up in your Plum account when they had already taken your money from your bank account via their Direct Debit… Plus there was no way of changing the amount being taken, which you can do with Chip.

Anyways… another thing I noticed, will Oval Pay impact on Monzo in anyway… they are using Visa for their supplier of Payment cards.

2 Likes

Only recently got Chip, had Plum for a few months.

Plum has already made me £10 on the investments side (which I pay for I know but I’m ahead so far as only had it for four months).

I like both because they are NOT in my Monzo and, as I’m on iOS, I can’t hide pots. It removes them from the daily view of my finances essentially and I’ve found that very valuable.

1 Like

Yes I tried the Investments but couldn’t risk anymore money so only made a few pence in 2 months with Plum.

What are the main differences between Chip And Plum? What’re you finding the best one to use?

Put off by Plum as looks like its all controlled through Facebook Messenger, reluctant to let FB collect any more data on me then they already have

Plum is an app now, not FB Messenger any more (from what I can see).

Aside from that, Plum allows you (for £1 a month) to go ‘Plus’ and then split the money into Savings/Investments. Chip is bog standard - shift amounts.

Both allow differing levels of aggression when it comes to how much to take.

Plum seems a little more mature feature wise but beyond that, much the same thing (I’m mainly using both as I find ‘hiding’ my money means I’m more likely to not touch it).

Funny enough, I’ve heard Android have a great feature for Monzo to help with this!

Stop it Adam, You’re not funny!

In all seriousness, thanks, might look into Plum a bit more then if thats the case, I want to hide my money too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Once ‘we’ can hide pots I’ll likely keep Plum but ditch Chip. I’ve ‘made’ £10 on the investment side of Plum (not sure it’ll break even over the year mind you but we will see!).

Chip isn’t really offering anything I wouldn’t get if ‘we’ could hide pots…

You know ‘we’ are going to get kicked off the forum if we carry on right?

I’ll tryout Plum for now, will leave Chip, and be a good boy and wait patiently for hiding Pots

For talking about Plum and Chip and why we are using it? I think ‘we’ are perfectly safe as, well, ‘I’ wouldn’t be bothering if ‘they’ gave us a timescale… :wink: