When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

You could have automatic top ups from Hong Kong bank accounts and there were machines that topped up from debit/credit cards definitely at the MTR stations and that was more than 10 years ago.

Interesting. The MTR machines I used seemed to only accept cash. That would have been perfect…

The MTR site also strongly implies cash-only: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/about_octopus_add_value.html

Maybe it has changed. I worked in HKG 1997-2007 and I definitely topped up Octopus using my HSBC Debit Card.

The machines in MTR stations didn’t have any kind of card reader other than the one for Octopus.

This. SO MUCH THIS.

I don’t mind the delay (though it’s super frustrating), but I really, really mind the lack of communication about when it’s going to be - and the lack of inclusion on the 2018 roadmap has properly annoyed me further.

The only thing keeoing me here right now is Monzo.me - the minute Starling Pay Me is active that, plus the fact there’s no FX fees, will make me question quite why I have this affinity for Monzo when they really aren’t the best kid on the block any more…

They’ve stagnated and there’s no real update on when the pace is going to pick up - I’ve tried, but when the most exciting advancement planned in the next 12m is rules for Pots, it’s hard to get excited. And it’s even harder to believe this is the bank of the future.

8 Likes

We have Mobile NFC payments listed on our transparent public roadmap for the Near Term :grinning:

7 Likes

But that means up to 6 months… that’s not near term.

At least not in my mindset!

1 Like

Could always stick a Monzo card to the back of your phone. I did it with an Oyster card back in the days before contactless bank cards :grinning:

But then that’d put adhesive residue on the back of the phone…

Also, it’d break other Apple Pay cards…

Liam

14 Likes

Ah, but that’s the problem you see. I have no patience. I get annoyed when it takes a day for something to arrive in the post…

2 Likes

You’d have loved the 70s :grinning:

3 Likes

It wouldn’t have made much difference, as I would not have known what could’ve been, so my experiences and personality would’ve been different, due to the differences in technology and available services.

Sorry

This is my standard response when people say ‘…in my day…’ or something similar… I use it to the chagrin of my Mum and Grandmother on a semi-regular basis.

2 Likes

With age comes wisdom :person_in_lotus_position:

And painful joints :rage::joy:

4 Likes

But that is the point with Generation X. Comments about how long it takes to open an account, update account balance, how long the app takes to open etc. Monzo’s only advantage over mainstream banking is the ‘instant-ness’ of it all. So it should come as no surprise that delays in implementation will cause irritation.

3 Likes

Surely it should be marked as completed, since you did Android Pay :joy: - unless the rumours really are true and you’re hard at work on adding Samsung Pay, FitBit Pay and Garmin Pay :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

I guess that after nigh on a year of being told “it’s coming soon, we’d love to offer it, hang tight”, my patience is wearing a tiny bit thin.

And please don’t think that this frustration comes from any place other than I love Monzo and think you have the ethos right - but the ethos needs to be backed up by features to attract customers from legacy banks, and Apple Pay is kinda a glaring omission at the moment.

But as you asked so nicely and used a funky GIF, I’ll try and stop feeling frustrated and be patient for a little while longer… :wink::wink:

5 Likes

We appreciate that very much!

A little patience and faith goes a long way. Especially when it comes to Mobile NFC Payments :grin:

6 Likes

Like Samsung Pay and FitBit Pay, right? :slight_smile:

5 Likes