What do Monzo target first, Android or iOS?

Good to know. Never had an issue with it when I did use it on iOS.

:shushing_face: Don’t let anyone know, but I’ve managed to sneak out of the country without Monzo finding out! And I’ve used my card several times.

The idea of denying others things that improve their life just because you can’t have them yet seems pretty petty, to be honest

Petty? The same as not being able to wait a couple of weeks for something? :thinking:

Which was the point I made that you ignored to have a dig at me. But sure.

Back on topic then - I understand why release cycles are different, and that sometimes Android will get things first, sometimes it’ll be iOS… so let me rephrase.

How about the same feature is worked on for both OSes and are both released when they are ready. If it takes longer to build one over the other (consistently) then bulk up that area.

Basically there is no real reason for feature parity at all, regardless of release cycles, as this is all entirely within Monzos gift to give. Right now, they are releasing some things here, some things there, and that’s great! But it isn’t sustainable.

But that’s just IMPO… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes. What difference does it make to you specifically what other peoples’ experience of the product is? In what way does withholding or releasing something in Android impact your experience in iOS?

Same question thrown right back at you. can you not just wait a couple of weeks while someone else enjoys the feature?

Swings and roundabouts, some things get release in iOS first and some in Android. So what? :man_shrugging:

Or sometimes not at all.

I agree, they should hold off and release things equally because it would be much easier to keep on top of it all and everyone can discuss and enjoy the same features without the divide.

Have you seen the below topic of differences?

3 Likes

None. And I’ve never stated otherwise.

And I’m perfectly happy to wait a couple of weeks if it means feature parity. That’s kinda my point here.

LONGER TERM I don’t think this is sustainable as the gap in parity will just grow and grow and you end up with two products with differing features. Get passed the ‘next cool thing’ thinking and this becomes a product level issue, where you have to tailor things to your market based on OS which costs more in the long run so whilst it’s great we are getting amazing features ASAP on whatever platform you are on (it is great, I’m not denying that, release away!) I’m more wondering if any thought has been given beyond the next year or so.

Anyway, it’s all getting a bit heated and personal so I’ll shut up now.

1 Like

Fair enough, reasonable concerns and good response. I would’ve though that staggered releases would’ve been better way of implementing new features and I am under the impression that Monzo have thought about this. As far as I am aware, there are two completely different teams working on both apps so they are always going to work on developing similar things in completely different ways, not sure how different release dates/times, and delaying these, would impact future ease of maintaining parity, but something to have in mind for sure.

The apps are always going to be somewhat different and there will be minor differences. iOS and Android are two different platforms with different philosophies and design guidelines. I would be more annoyed to have an iOS clone app slapped onto my Android phone than a proper Android app missing minor quirks. That I cannot automatically categorise spending while abroad is not a deal breaker for me.

Not at all, it wasn’t my intention to turn a civil discussion into a personal argument. My tone wasn’t great, sorry. Opinions are great even if we respectfully disagree.

1 Like

No worries on that front, no real offense taken (offence? that one always trips me up!).

And I wouldn’t want an Android clone app slapped on my iPhone :wink:

Happy that there are differences due to the OS/platforms but feature parity is achievable on the whole, many many other apps prove that. Let’s see what the future brings!

If you make someone wait 2 weeks to be able to get a loan that they need now then that could have serious knock-on effects on their life. We’re talking about a financial app that some people rely on for one of the most important aspects of their lives.

If you think a piece of functionality will genuinely improve someone’s life then there’s a strong moral imperative for Monzo to release that functionality ASAP as the sooner it’s released the more good it can do.

Arguing that Monzo shouldn’t release stuff to anyone until everyone can have it is something that will push release dates for everyone back. Under the same logic mobile phone networks should never have released 4G because they only had limited initial coverage or Apple Pay would never have been released until every country was covered.

Yes, there are examples where there are more than 2 options (iOS and Android) but the principle remains the same, that you release stuff as soon as it’s ready for that audience, rather than holding back until everyone can have it.

I am talking about features, not financial products. Plenty of places to get a loan.

Scenario - Monzo announce a new loan, Android get it first. You desperately need it and apply but you get knocked back. What difference would it have made when it got released? You are stretching this out into something it isn’t.

And the logic for 4G isn’t comparable, the logistics are completely different (multiple business involved).

LONG TERM I believe it’s better for a product to try and keep some semblance of feature parity.

I’m done with this now, not sure why you are so vehemently thinking I’m trying to deny anyone anything @tommy5dollar but I don’t tend to continue discussions with people who are, as far as I can see, deliberately twisting things to their own agenda/views. Have a great weekend! :smiley:

I get that in the long term you’d want parity across everything and that both apps would be the same albeit some differences that naturally occur due to OS limitations.

However, if you couldn’t achieve parity for say, longer than 3 weeks - would it not be more prudent to roll-out on what is ready so that the team can deploy and “forget” and move onto the next thing?

In my mind, waiting for parity and releasing, developing a new feature, waiting for parity and releasing seems very legacy - one of the beautiful things about Monzo is that it can develop very quickly (albeit there are arguments against this). If I wasn’t on this forum, I’d have no clue about what Android has that iOS doesn’t and for me even though I do - I’m not as a customer going to go and get an Android phone.

For the long term, I think what is crucial is ensuring the same products and core functionality have parity - individual features will naturally need to be swept up and eventually the same on each - but I’m not sure it is imperative to Monzo as a business moving forward, albeit it would be better if it was.

It is a weird one because at face-value parity is obviously preferred. Just my 2 cents anyway!

2 Likes

For me it boils down to if a feature is being developed for both platforms.

I have no issue if one platform gets it first as long as it is actively being worked on for other the other platform and it won’t be too long in appearing there too.

It only becomes a problem if the feature is only being developed for one platform. That’s where parity becomes an issue for me. See advanced searching on iOS or pot histories on Andriod for examples.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.