What are your best Debt Hacks?

(Micky) #41

I think I might definitely consider cancelling my TV license though. I mainly use Netflix or Amazon Video and I could cancel the TV license and get another streaming service for the less than the price of the license

(David I) #42

Be careful with this one - if you own a screen which includes a TV tuner (receiver) then I think you are liable for a TV license. Also use of iPlayer requires a TV license. Read the information carefully before making this decision. Do I need a TV License?

(Sam H) #43

I don’t want to turn this into a TV License megathread, but that’s not correct. A license is only required if you watch live TV or use iPlayer. My parents have not had one for years while only using Netflix and Prime Video.

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #44

This used to be the case, many years ago, but you now only need a licence to watch live TV on a TV.

You also need one for iPlayer, for recording live TV etc.

(Sam H) #45

Screenshot from the TV Licence FAQs for clarity.

(Andre Borie) #46

As much as I despise the TV License I have to give them credit where it’s due for the clarity of their website. It makes it nice and straightforward to tell whether you need a license or not.

(Sam H) #47

I agree if you look into the FAQs in more depth, but on the main “check if you need one” page this is deliberately misleading in my view:

But like I said, I don’t want to derail this thread :sweat_smile:

(Micky) #48

That’s that idea out the window as I don’t think I could convince my wife that we could save £12/month if she gave up watching Eastenders

(Andre Borie) #49

If you’re living together the license cost doesn’t seem too bad per person. But if you’re by yourself then it’s definitely not good value IMO.