What apps are you using?

Fair enough, that should be pretty accurate then! But in the interest of balance, that is exactly how the database submissions for Nutra Check work too. You still have to submit a photo of the label for a human to verify and check for duplicates.

Mainly the ability to set my total daily calorie intake based on resting calories from Apple Watch rather than just a fixed figure. Nutra Check can only increase the active calories from exercise, not reduce the resting calories from laziness. Handy for rest days, as I only do my sprint training twice a week. Calories should be wildly different from day to day, but I’ve had to set it correct for training days and then I know to undershoot on rest days.

I have discovered that FoodNoms can read - and importantly, display - the calories/macros from Apple Health that are synced by Nutra Check.

So I can add food using NC, but use FN for all the clever analysis until their database catches up. Win win!

Takeaways are one of the areas I find Nutra Check really excels funnily enough. No guessing the weight of egg fried rice as it has UK specific portion sizes programmed in! That’s what really swung it vs MFP for me, just the sheer convenience, even for generic food.

It isn’t though, because they do this:

Shrinkflation happens almost annually, so nutrition labels change, and when I used Nutracheck about 3 years ago it had linked the current barcode for most of the supermarket products I buy to older nutritional labels for those products. I can’t say exactly how far out of date of they were, but the macros were off by some margin. But I don’t think they were accurate for any of the items I bought at the time. They had the items in the database. Linked to the barcode on the item, the macros just didn’t match. And it had no micronutrients.

I’d be interested to compare the entries for Cravendale whole milk, for instance, to see if that’s still the case? Because FoodNoms has everything that’s on the label, not just the macros, and it’s accurate to what’s printed on the bottle. Maybe Nutra Check has improved since I tried them.

Ah, yes this is the new feature from the 2.0 update. Didn’t know this was a premium one. I never had any qualms with how it calculate the BMR previously though, and that seemed to track accurately for me. I’m using the resting energy thing now, but that feels too high for me, I’m noticing. It’s a cool feature though, and I don’t think anyone else does it, but I think I might prefer the old BMR calculation based on my health metrics and just adding on the active calories.

Most apps do honestly, it’s ready made databases from governments and health organisations they can plug into, and they probably all use the same ones.

What they don’t have are the ability to estimate the amount of calories within said portion, which I find quite useful. It’s just a single figure and I’ve no idea how accurate it actually is relative to the takeout that made mine, so it’s nice that foodnoms can add some leeway.

1 Like

I can only assume their userbase has increase sufficiently in the last 3 years that the info is updated fast enough that I’m not finding those errors. The only item I found in 4 months that was wrong, was some Asda chicken breasts where the packaging (and the recipe) had been changed within the last week, but I updated that the first time I scanned it and it has been fine ever since.

Certainly from using both apps side by side with current data, I’m not seeing any of the issues you mentioned with Nutra Check. Edit: Not to say none exist, I’m just not seeing them with the small snapshot of the database I use on a regular basis.

All spot on, even shows the exact amount of sodium rather than just <1g. As you say, no micros though. But when I scanned the Asda Whole milk in my fridge, FoodNoms didn’t have any of the micros entered anyway, not even the Calcium!

I’ll do my full food intake for today with FoodNoms (scanning and all) and see if I think I can cope with doing that 7 days a week, because I really do like the app. I just can’t warrant spending more time scanning my food than eating it! :rofl:

Me and my Mrs have used Nutra Check for 2 years now, pay £23.99 or something for 12 months premium. Honestly don’t have a bad word to say about it.

1 Like

It’s a bug with the new update (adding support for showing as salt in the U.K. rather than just sodium). It did used to show the exact amount, and it’s there if I go to edit it to submit a correction.

Does Nutra Check still not have the micronutrients?

I’ve struggled with iron deficient anaemia throughout my life, so it’s important I track that stuff too.

1 Like

I did spot that in the settings, which I thought was a nice touch for us Brits.

Nope, although for me that’s only been an issue for a few months. It did cause me some confusion when I went to scan in an A-Z Multivitamin and realised that not one line from its contents could actually be entered.

That’s probably my main gripe with Nutra Check, aside from the (IMO) ugly design. Apple Health can record micros, so ideally I want them populated. Even just the basics like iron and calcium etc. but as you can see from my screenshot, it only does the main macros and salt.

1 Like

In fairness most tend to not have micros in their database anyway. Most users I suspect don’t care enough to include them in their submissions.

Cravendale’s only exist in FoodNoms because I submitted them a while back.

I like to be as certain as I can be with accuracy, and the only person I trust with that is myself to read the labels and make sure they match, and correct when they don’t, which is why the friction of an infant database doesn’t bother me.

My take on it is that I only have to scan, I put, submit, and correct once per food item and then never have to again unless something changes. After about two weeks it had 90% of my diet on there, though I’m pretty boring. The other 10% is because I feel adventurers sometimes and try new things.

Even if someone else tries, and somehow successfully overrides my community database entry, it doesn’t change what’s saved in my own personal database, so no one can ruin my data either.

1 Like

Thanks for the great recommendations around food tracking apps, keep em coming!

On a total segway (not intending on derailing the food app theme!) I’ve been playing around with ProCamera over the weekend. I used to use third party camera app’s all the time but I found over time that the built in Apple one worked just fine. That all changed with the iPhone 14 Pro. I wanted something that could really handle and make the most of the proRAW files.

I still use the default app as a default but Ive found that the really annoying “loss of focus” issue the lens seems to have doesn’t happen, and better ability to utilise the processors true power are really captured in the app.

Some sample images from the weekend below. Usual copyrights apply :wink:

1 Like

Halide is “the” Pro camera app of choice.

3 Likes

I tried that, but I really found the UI super difficult to use.

I’m using Halide as my ‘Pro Camera’ option on the 14P when I need more control than the default, but I do admit the UI isn’t the best. I feel their pain when it comes to UI though, as my Canon R6 has a screen plus 10+ buttons and 3 dials to handle all the settings, and they have to cram that all into a single touch screen…

After trying really hard to persist with FoodNoms another couple of days, my final feedback is: If you want to build your own super accurate personal database of everything you eat, it’s perfect. But if you just want to scan your food and get on with your life, you’ll hate it.

Too many mainstream items missing from the database, and I’m finding the stuff that is uploaded to be wildly inaccurate (see example below). The scanner is bad, it constantly overlaps figures between the 100g column and the ‘suggested serving’ column so you end up entering everything manually anyway. Which I think leads to examples like below, where people just scan things and hit enter without checking with their own eyes…

Actual Packet:

Nutra Check (spot on):

FoodNoms (all over the place):

I will still keep the free version installed because it can sync the data I input from Nutra Check from the Health app, and does a MUCH better job of displaying it and providing analytics etc.

I just think the privacy focus is going to be this app’s downfall. For example, either I am the first ever user to eat a McDonald’s McChicken Sandwich, or every single person who has eaten one before me hasn’t opted in to have their entry added to the pubic database for the sake of privacy.

On a different, but still health/fitness related note, I love this super simple little iOS app which shows all your workout/step/distance totals. Something which you oddly can’t do in the native Health/Fitness apps!

Fitness Stats on the App Store (apple.com)

Both are accurate! Foodnoms is per portion 57g, Nutra Check is per waffle.

Calculate 57% of the nutrition per 100g and you’ll see it’s spot on. Also note the packaging refers to a portion as 57g as well.

Both are right, they’ve just been calculated differently.

They are not both accurate though. 94 is 46% of 204, which means the ‘1 waffle/portion/serving’ figures on the box are based off the cooked weight of 46g.

Whoever uploaded the FoodNoms copy has mistakenly used the frozen weight of 57g to do their calculation, which is why the figures are too high as most of the additional frozen weight is just water.

These figures shouldn’t be up for interpretation by whoever uploads it. They are printed on the box for a reason, and is exactly why Nutra Check require photo verification of the actual food label before upload.

I’ve clearly made the same mistake then! It looked right to me, so I can see how that got missed. The correction is pretty simple though: amend the serving size to 46g.

1 Like

I have to say both look good but not sure about the pricing, I go through phases of indexing stuff I am consuming and actually building the calories approx for a recipe I make and have been resorting to use a locked down My Fitness Pal on free to do it.