šŸ“± What Android/iOS versions should we support?

Thatā€™s fine but then a lot of people in lower paid jobs take 2/3 years to save for a new phone and by which time theyā€™d only get a year of updates max unless its an iOS device. I think most of us who buy new phones once a year or year and a half are in the minority in terms of millions of users who wont do that

4 Likes

theyā€™d only get a year of updates max unless its an iOS device

Which I guess supports my argument - save up for an iOS device and youā€™ll get your moneyā€™s worth, instead of wasting it on Android devices that are outdated out of the box.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great for you, on your high horse. But there are plenty of people who struggle to get enough food on the table. Itā€™s a shame you have no sympathy for them!

10 Likes

Once Monzo gains a customer with their promises of no fees and whatever else then they have an obligation to pay due regard to the interests of its customers and to treat them fairly.

6 Likes

Yes it does but just puts into perspective the limited amount of people who can do that.

Until google can sort out android fragmentation and others not supporting their devices then I agree with you

1 Like

I donā€™t think weā€™re talking about the same crapware. Iā€™m talking about this, not first-party apps that you can now (since iOS 10 I believe) delete.

Thanks, wasnā€™t aware of that; but there are actual technical (and security) reasons behind not supporting ancient Android so I think they will be in the clear.

I honestly feel that you shouldnā€™t drop support for old versions of Android, as itā€™s a nasty surprise for users who cannot afford to upgrade. It feels like only recently devices have moved off of Android 4.4, so I feel a lot of people will be stuck on 5.x for a whileā€¦

7 Likes

5s supports iOS 11 and Monzo support 10. Can see them dropping 11 when 13 is out but not before. Means 5s has a good 18 months left I reckon.

3 Likes

Bottom line, I donā€™t think that an App only bank can tell its customers that they either have to buy a new phone or to move banks.

It would be a PR disaster for them.

An app thatā€™s a wrapper to a web experience might work for older OS versions. I donā€™t know if either the iOS or Android App Store detects the OS version and only shows apps that will tun on that version or below. Otherwise there would be two versions shown in the App Store.

6 Likes

A web interface is the obvious way to go for older unsupported operating systems. Chrome is updated independently of the OS and while Safari is not, Apple support their devices for quite a long time so itā€™s not so bad when people are forced to get a new device after 3-4 years.

4 Likes

I posted previously in the last version thread last year. Iā€™m worried this new thread is not that long since then.

In the end, my view (slightly cut down) is still the same.

I also agree with @anon80829874 . Once Monzo has the customer, they shouldnā€™t cut off the sole way to access their account due to software upgrades without any alternatives in place. You could also say that they are not providing that customer with the legal required [in Monzoā€™s case electronic] statement by withdrawing support for the device they used when they joined.

3 Likes

100% agree with this comment from @anon23935806. - šŸ“± What Android/iOS versions should we support?

I work in development as well and supporting legacy devices is well and truly a pain. Especially with something of a financial nature. I personally think that Monzo should drop support when the Android version is no-longer updated. The are so many security breaches these days and if those breaches arenā€™t patched, legacy phone users/Monzo could have a problem. So by that logic, i think Monzo should be supported on Android 6 and above (as per security patches info on Wikipedia). In an ideal world, it would be nice if manufactures updated all Android devices. Some Android devices never have updates pushed which is what makes Android development so difficult, and also means some users would still be at risk.

As for IOS, as multiple people in this thread have mentioned, Apple provide updates for all itā€™s supported devices to the latest and greatest version for many years. EG: The iPhone 5 launched with IOS 6 in 2012 and support was only dropped last year with IOS 10 (4 Years and 11 months support). I think that especially for financial based Appsā€™s that this is when Monzo should drop support. If it was something like Google or a Mobile Game I wouldnā€™t care, but, financial stuff Iā€™d want to make sure my money is protected as much as it can be.

As mentioned earlier on in the thread, dropping the support for devices where Monzo have active installs is currently very risky. It results in a potential loss of customers. Iā€™d hope that most people using Monzo at the moment, are tech savy and have recent mobile devices or understand the risk behind not having an up to date device. A web based application has been discussed on this forum before, but for Monzo to not loose customers when dropping legacy device support this is something that would be required, as Monzo canā€™t force people to buy a new phone/update a device. Even more so when Monzo does reach a billion+ users.

Does anyone think this will actually happen? Thatā€™s approx 1/7th of the world population. Banks like HSBC according to a google search have approx 38 million customers world wide.

3 Likes

Certainly not if they continue their current exclusionary practicesā€¦

2 Likes

Not until they cover most of the world at least (mainly US and EU), at the moment with only UK residents being accepted thereā€™s no way they can get a billion customers.

Thatā€™s funny.if they limited themselves to US + EU, the only way to get to 1 billion customers was if every single man, woman and child had an account with them, which simply isnā€™t going to happen.

If you want 1 billion customers, you need truly global reach!

The chances of it happening are very slim. But, Monzo are able to do it. Legacy banks arenā€™t as inviting and friendly. In this new digital era especially if Monzo has a website version and supports major markets. Anything is possible.

This is just western world :world_map: not the most by any measure :joy:

Most people actually live outside of these two regions.

3 Likes

Until Monzo support PalmOS Iā€™m considering them a dead duck myself.

5 Likes