šŸ“± What Android/iOS versions should we support?

The problem is that theyā€™d still have to keep the same API to keep the old apps working, which might make developing new features more difficult.

If only there was a solution to all of this. A technology that works on almost any device, and OS, without having to provide separate clients for each OS yourself.

I have a vision were it would be possible to consume content with an app of your choice, using an OS of your choice. The content would have to be provided using a standard that is supported by many different apps.

Has anyone heard of a system like this? It sounds too good to be trueā€¦

/s

5 Likes

Thatā€™s not possible

1 Like

Xamarin (now owned by Microsoft) allows you to write apps in C# and compile them for Android, iOS and Windows Mobile. Thatā€™s as far as Iā€™m aware the closest it gets to true multi-platform app development.

https://www.xamarin.com/platform/

1 Like

To be the bank of millions youā€™d need to support very old Android. So Android 4 at least.

But if itā€™s up to me (which it isnā€™t) drop Android 7.0 and below

2 Likes

:rofl:

Pretty sure they were sarcastically referring to a web app :wink:

4 Likes

What, are you saying such fancy technology exists?! :open_mouth:

Sounds like legacy nonsense to me

1 Like

Indeed!! Itā€™s been around since the 90s,after allā€¦

3 Likes

I agree Monzo should be app first but some basic feature set should be available via the web. For example quickly checking transactions/balance/speaking to support same as in app, etc. Keep the feature rich stuff for the app.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s hundreds of millions of potential customers before that becomes an issue thankfully but still something to consider.

I think weā€™re all avoiding the real issue here which is support by handset makers is shocking!!! As per my original post.

2 Likes

3.4% = 3500
100% = 100,000 (and a bit) ā€¦ is that really it? If thereā€™s ā€œ647,229ā€ Monzo customers (according to monzo.com, at the time of writing this) that means iOS outnumbers Android 5 - 1! I thought there would be far more than 100,000 Android customers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The Play Store lists the app downloads as ā€œ100 Thousandā€ but that number can reflect 100,001-499,999 downloads, Iā€™m surprised thereā€™s not more of an even split :slight_smile: But thatā€™s all rather irrelevant to this thread I suppose! :innocent:

In honesty, I expected this thread to start out with a poll! :smiley:
But itā€™s been an interesting thread to read, plenty of opinionsā€¦ I struggle to find a place to stand, Iā€™m always running the latest OS from Google, heck Iā€™m on Android P at the moment! So the minimum supported version isnā€™t a concern of mine, per say. But I do appreciate the issue - my Mum for instance, she used to be stuck on a dead version of Android with a Galaxy S2 :confused: It was an awful experience! So much so that I ended up putting Cyanogenmod on it just to give her access to newer apps and features :stuck_out_tongue: But that was many years ago. (Wayyyyy before Cyanogen turned into Lineage)

I think Monzo should support as much as possible, thereā€™s room to gently nudge people to upgrade their software / device but thereā€™s likely going to be someā€¦ feedback from the 3.4% (as an example).

iOS is easier, Apple give support to their entire fleet of devices for years, if itā€™s supported Apple it should be supported by Monzo (I guess an n-1 situation? If Apple donā€™t update Device G to iOS 12, let Monzo run on iOS 11+ for a year or so)

On the Android side; I think itā€™s more flexible for supporting a wide range - take the home-screen shortcuts for instance, because of Google Play Services it was possible to add that feature for (I think) 7.0+ without impacting versions below 7.0, they simply didnā€™t see the feature and that was that. If a significant proportion of users are going to be upset by Monzo dropping support for an ancient version then try to avoid it - but similarly, if thereā€™s a feature that must have a minimum OS version higher than that of which Monzo supports then the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few :wink:

Out of curiosity, do Google and Apple have guidelines for this sort of thing? Or is it at the developerā€™s discretion?

7 Likes

I enjoyed reading your post,

Monzo was originally itā€™s only for quite a while. And only recently has the android app caught up on the feature set. So from the android community it has flagged i imagine

1 Like

Totally agree. I think two years back would be a minimum, but I was also going to suggest browser as a workaround.

1 Like

Itā€™s a complex issue, but I appreciate Monzoā€™s open discussion regarding the issue. Iā€™m sure it will help them make a balanced desision between supporting customers / not hindering development. Balance is the key.

2 Likes

Iā€™d imagine once the new SE is out it wonā€™t be long til the iPhone 5 looses Apple support. Once the support stops I think itā€™s reasonable to stop updating it.

2 Likes

I understand why this thread was made as a bank Monzo canā€™t keep supporting old operating systems unfortunately.

I think the real reason why people are slightly angry is the fact that on one hand, Monzo says they are trying to be a different bank full of understanding and love. On the other hand you want to appeal to the unbanked and the homeless. But donā€™t worry homeless people and the unbanked are the very same people with the most up to date phones Iā€™m sure right?..

4 Likes

I think the iPhone 5s came out in 2013 which still supports the latest iOS version so thatā€™s still good in my opinion

2 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that Facebook have produced a lite version of their app that does less. I wonder if Monzo could have a lite version with limited functionality that works on older devices as a half way house to support older devices and newer features for people who have newer devices?

5 Likes