What about credit cards?

You could even piggy back on Starling’s in-credit interest

(Andrew King) #351

I think as a bank it’s good to have a Credit card I see the next gen credit cards have removed the long embossed numbers for lazzered engraved numbers on the back of the card look at Virgin Atlantic CC.

Many more banks are doing this I hear one provider is removing the white strip on the back of the Credit Card and more stuff coming soon

(TWM) #352

I think jaja could/ will be the next big Credit card, it appears to be doing to credit cards what monzo did to the everyday current account.

Check it out and if you fancy you can help me up the ladder, if not no worries I won’t take it personally… :rofl::joy::rofl:

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #353

It’s literally got about 100 users.

Not sure how much anyone can fundamentally change a credit card, but hey.

(Elliot ) #354

Signed up, interested to see what they have to offer :slight_smile:

Love these suggestions!

I always use a credit card for travel, as you get the advantage of “joint & several” liability of the credit card company when things go “tits-up”. Many times I’ve been grateful for being able to claim against the credit card company when a service provider has gone bust or not performed the contract, etc.

(MikeF) #357

The comparative nature of this sort of statement always interests me. In 30 years of credit card use, I’ve never had to claim anything against anyone meaning this is beyond my experience and so hard to imagine. What sort of things has anyone claimed for in paractce?

I would imagine when a company goes bust without delivering the goods but had been paid for is when they come into their own. A sofa place went bust last year and made it to watchdog where the advice was then to pay for anything like that on a credit card.

I would hope that Monzo would help more than the traditional banks would (not sure why I think this but I just do).

(MikeF) #359

Oh, I know the theory. I’ve just not come across (in real life) anyone who claims to have actually had to do it in practice. As a result, people who’ve had to go through it many times seem like they should be statistically interesting in some way so I’m interested in real world examples just to see.

(Ashley) #360

It depends on the level of financial protection the supplier has…

(Jack) #361

I put £200 down on a car to reserve for a test drive last year.
During the test drive it had a weird engine issue.
The garage said I’d get my £200 back within 5 days. Nothing came through, I chased them multiple times with no response (they went very quiet on the matter).
I put a claim in against Amex and they sorted it very quickly :raised_hands:t3:

(MikeF) #362

Nice, thanks.

(Ben Talbot) #363

McDonald’s have once triple charged me for one transaction. Few clicks on Amex’s app/website and they cancelled all those false charges

My last case was an early booking for overnight accommodation in London (for a concert several months ahead), via an online booking company. As the concert drew near, I thought I would just check on the accommodation. Just as well I did, as the booking company had not paid the hotel and had actually gone bust in the interim period.As there was nothing in the pot for unsecured creditors, I had to seek recourse from the credit card issuer to obtain my refund. (And had to quickly place another booking for the night’s accommodation).

The reason a credit card issuer is liable but a debit card issuer isn’t is because the credit card issuer is governed by the consumer credit legislation but a debit card issuer isn’t (because they are not providing you with what is effectively a loan - unlike the credit card issuer).

(Jamie 🏳️‍🌈) #366

I had a cycle nicked fewer than 100 days after I’d paid for it on my Nationwide CC, though that was so long ago I can’t really remember if I claimed on Sec75 or Purchase Protection specific to that card.

But last year I was ready to order carpets from Carpetright before Easter, for delivery and fitting after, just when it announced it was on shaky ground, financially, so I made sure I bought them (£5000 worth) on my CC in case Carpetright went titsup over the holidays. It didn’t, but I ignored a 10% cashback deal on a debit card for the protection my CC offered.

I think in these times, when even big name holiday companies and shops can suddenly announce they’re going bust overnight, it’s wise to even just put a quid’s deposit onto a CC.

(Katrina) #367

That happened to me as well. I wonder if it was the same branch?

(MikeF) #368

All interesting. I’m not suggesting I don’t do the same, just that since I’ve never had to claim I never really think about the protection side of things. As a result, it doesn’t drive a deliberate choice on my part

(Ben Talbot) #369

Mine was in Bristol, just outside the Cabot Circus shopping centre