We've hit 800,000 users!

I just copy and paste them in and hit save

Can upload or you can copy direct image link

Hmm I had issues before. Think I may have tried using the ā€œembedā€ code.

Also, hereā€™s my cat gif

5 Likes

So Monzo opened an average of 2,273 accounts per day between 700,000 and 800,000ā€¦

That is crazy!

4 Likes

@nickh It really is crazy.

I also find it madness that in the UK, itā€™s near 1 in every 82 people have a Monzo accountā€¦
65.64 million / 800000

Considering thats with none/little advertising, and already with a brand that you can just say ā€œmonzoā€ to most people and they instantly know itā€™s a bank.

9 Likes

Itā€™ll be a bigger madness when itā€™s 1 in 8 in a few years time*

*If 15% of all new UK accounts are Monzo then this is more than 1 in 8 right now so they should move towards this figure over time.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting thought. I was musing elsewhere about whether Monzo has caused the total number of new account openings in the UK to go up (which might imply that more Monzo accounts are being used as secondary accounts) or whether size of the pie has stayed the same:

In either case, itā€™s still a massive achievement. Well done the team! :monzo:

2 Likes

I think in lots of places thatā€™s true. But - for now - there are still lots of folk who still havenā€™t heard about Monzo. :cry:

What I find particularly impressive, though, is that Monzo has been ā€œverbedā€ super fast. Itā€™s not uncommon for folk to talk about monzoing cash over, or asking someone to monzo them!

6 Likes

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d get the reaction I was hoping if I asked someone to ā€œMonzoā€ meā€¦

1 Like

It beats my Dad saying ā€œping me some moneyā€, it never fails but to frustrate me ! ha

I suppose it depends on what you were hoping forā€¦

:zipper_mouth_face::smirk:

2 Likes

This is fantastic news!
Looking goood :sunglasses::monzo:

2 Likes

My friends and I sat that a lot, itā€™s somehow just become a thing.

2 Likes

Interesting, isnā€™t it?

I canā€™t imagine anyone asking someone to Mondo them in the same way - is it a side effect of the name change or am I so used to the current name?

1 Like

Linguistically I find ā€œMonzoā€ a more pleasant word to say than ā€œMondoā€. Feels more natural as a verb, for some reason.

4 Likes

I think youā€™re onto something thereā€¦ What an amazing (unintended?) result of the name change!

1 Like

Itā€™s weird how my (and I imagine by extension our) brain(s) have some bias for familiarity.

I remember when the new name was announced, I was actually pretty disappointed - I didnā€™t think it had the same ring as Mondo and was worried the new name would hurt the perception of the brand. I thought Monzo sounded a bit dopey or silly.

Iā€™m so used to Monzo now - and I dont feel it sounds silly at all. I now actually feel like Mondo sounds really unusual and kinda silly :laughing:. My perception on how the name feels has totally changed. Strange how that happens.

6 Likes

ā€œSā€ and ā€œZā€ sounds are generally associated in our brains with things that are quite smooth or sweet. The word ā€œsensualā€ for example, is almost onomatopoeic, you almost feel the meaning of it when you say it.

ā€œDā€ by contrast, is quite harsh. In a positive sense, you can use it ways that denote something strong and absolute - think ā€œHe was a DECENT manā€ or when youā€™re angry you might say ā€œDamn it!ā€ with a strong emphasis on the first letter, or think of words like ā€œDangerā€ or ā€œDataā€. All quite strong, absolute words with a level of gravitas to them.

Thereā€™s a psychological effect to the construct of words and how we feel when we say them. Itā€™s obviously hard to say for sure, but I suspect ā€œMondoā€ would have been less likely to be used as a verb.

4 Likes

Agree. Was thinking about this just now and thought that Mondo is probably a better noun - as you say it is strong and absolute, words that you might want to associate with your bank.

But Monzo is the better word. It can be verbified (sic) and I love your onomatopoeic point - and really reflects the values that Monzo is known for.

This might be a stretch, but Mondo feels more bank, Monzo more empathetic tech - our previous discussions about current start-ups having different approaches refers!

2 Likes