We've Added Some New Categories

Hi @Jippet I’ve popped your post into this thread as there’s been quite a bit of chat about categories and the best approach. This thread is probably the most relevant!

(Paul) #143

Sorry if this has been covered. I can’t set categories on direct debits, some are defaulted to Bills and I can’t change them and others have no category at all. This is making Summary committed spending not as accurate as it could be. Any ideas if this is being addressed? Thanks

(Micky) #144

I can appreciate that custom categories are a more complex problem to solve than predefined categories but there really should be more categories to choose from. Even if there aren’t any merchants assigned to those categories at least it would give users the opportunity to manually assign their purchases to those categories. My poor dog gets all his stuff categorised under General, which doesn’t seem very fair to him

(Eve) #145

Aww bless him :cry::joy: could you work around this by assigning it to family (he is family after all) and tagging his transactions by his name or #pet or #dog? :dog: it would let you tabulate/ search related transactions quickly too

(Micky) #146

Yes I could do and it might be something to consider. The tags are ok but it requires adding notes on every purchase which I know for me I’d get bored of very quickly. If repeated purchases at the same merchant remembered previous tags then that would solve the issue

(Nathan) #147

Correct me if i am wrong but I think tags have a very limited purpose in that they only let you display a list of linked transactions.

I mentioned this in one of the other threads but i think sub categories could be a win win for both monzo and users. take @M1cky point about his pet spend:

If monzo allowed us to create our own custom sub categories within a category then we could create “Pet” under the family main sub and then we could have the functionality we require as well as conforming to the monzo main categories to keep to their wishs for algos and shopping patterns etc.

I think it would be a good idea if Monzo gave us some help with categorisation by listing 10 examples of purchases they envisage should go into each category. I assume an exercise such as this was done when the category options were decided. I think it would make an interesting blog post.

I know one response to this would be to just use categories as you see fit rather than how someone else thinks they should be used. I’d be fine doing this if there were more categories to choose from, but with a limited number of categories I think some guidance/examples on what to put in each category would be useful.

(Ricky Nos) #149

Really how someone categorises things is very subjective, and im not sure someone is going to recategorise something because monzo tells them to. Ultimately until we can choose custom categories it’s never going to be much good for anyone on a personal level. Can’t Imagen it will be particularly accurate for an analytical basis for monzo either.

I don’t even pay attention to categories at the moment because I can’t be bothered to come up with and then remember my own subjective system for dealing with transactions which could fall into more than one category given the limited choice of categories.

But I think if I saw several examples of what Monzo feels should go into each category I think I’d be more inclined to start actively using categorization.

(Chinedu Umeh) #151

I think the solution may be for monzo to develop a way to remember the tags you have made per merchant

(Nick) #152

Whose poor decision was it to rename Cash to Finances?

The Cash target was surely a budget for the amount of Cash you withdraw each month. Whereas Finances is a generic term for all the other categories; everything after all is surely Finance?

How many people have that many “Personal Care” expenditures a month, or spend money on Family regularly?

Can we have some sensible, useful new categories please?

Surely people that have families spend money on family?

I actually like this new category as it allows me to put my credit card payments in there, to separate them from “bills” which are more for things like utilities (and rent, since at the moment there isn’t a dedicated “housing” category).

(Nick) #155

Regularly? Really? Is that category more important than say Salary (as an income category); or splitting Travel into maybe Public Travel and Personal Travel? Or many of the others that have been requested, and still not an option.

(Nick) #156

So why not have Bills, Credit Cards, Money Transfers? Finances is just a broad generalisation for all “financial” transactions.

They’re working on proper custom categories, and this is just a stop-gap measure. Better than nothing in my opinion.

(Jack) #158

I put quite a few things under personal care like opticians, gym, haircuts etc.

Personally for me finances is better than cash as a category. I now have a proper way to tag transfers to my savings accounts.

(#savetheseabass) #159

Family will be a very well used category for me. Glad to see it introduced

(Jack) #160

Out of interest what would you generally tag as family? I don’t have any children etc so just curious

Isn’t this for spending rather than income. There is an income section that is separate no?