We've Added Some New Categories

In the absence of a ‘Charity’ category I’ve taken to using ‘Family’ instead, which feels a bit odd but it beats using ‘General’ which feels like shoving everything under the bed to tidy up…

1 Like

This seems to have involved (effectively) deleting critical comments?

Nah, it’s here We've Added Some New Categories

Merging will keep that on the original thread as it was the first post but also copy to the thread it’s being merged with

4 Likes

Charity would be a great category!

I have regular amounts go out each month and there are innovative other giving options out there (UNICEF’s Share the meal for example) and online one of donations.

Seeing this would instantly help me decide on how much I could sponsor someone this month or use the Share the meal app for example, and seeing the monthly total would be an amazing feel good factor!

6 Likes

I agree charity would be a really nice category.

3 Likes

I’d love a charity category, but am on my first work trip and have realised a work category would be helpful too

Will you be reimbursed for your purchases on the trip? If so then Expenses might be the category for you. :blush:

4 Likes

Not directly in this instance, but usually yes. You make a fair point, but I normally use that category for something else so it didn’t occur to me!

1 Like

You mean custom categories?

1 Like

Yup, we have one guy on this. He’s finishing exporting of data first.

1 Like

Oh wow how am i only hearing now this is being worked on!

1 Like

It’s probably been said before but trying to set up a “main” joint account, using the predefined categories is really hard. I don’t want all my bills (Direct debits) to be categorised as bills.

You can categorise direct debits as any of the categories once the first payment is taken taken

Sorry I didn’t express myself well, I meant that the predefined categories are not specific enough so things that would fall under bills get lumped together like gas, electric and water (Bills) where ideally I would like these to be seperate. Im not keen on tags as it requires too much input.

1 Like

Ahh I get you now!

Oh I agree. I think categories really need subcategories. Half the stuff that goes out of my account are ‘Bills’, it would be nice to actually sub-categorise those bills (or the other way round).

General should just be undefined. Well I guess that’s what it is. I just find it strange that you can set a budget for it.

Finance should at least split into ATM withdrawals and Savings as subcategories.

Personal care is kind of a vague one that I’m not sure how I’m meant to use? Do I use it for the dentists but is that not a bill? Do I use it for when I go to superdrug and buy some shampoo? But wouldn’t that be shopping? Is it a gym membership, but that’s a bill?

Family could probably just be a subcategory applied to any of the main categories.

Gifts would be a good subcategory.

And so on.

5 Likes

Is the “What’s Next?” section of this article still planned, it’s something that I’d have found useful.

3 Likes

We’re doing some work about this. As a first step we’ll probably add a new Charity category. This might happen quite soon (we’re literally starting it today).

We’re also working on some new aggregated views that would probably mean we revisit categories in general.

15 Likes

Yeah I agree I have so many things that I feel probably fall under bill it would be nice to break them up

Completely agree.

There’s loads of potential to use the Holiday toggle to improve Travel Reports too (eg: selecting which bank transfers are holiday spending too).

I have a memory of a member of Monzo staff saying they wanted to make some changes to Summary before implementing this, but I can’t remember where (I could be misremembering though!).

2 Likes