We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

Yeah would like to know how to get into TestFlight, as I signed for the new design pretty early.

Ask someone at customer services to get the TestFlight invite

I contacted COps and they sent me a link!

Yet another one saying pleeeease don’t lose the ‘left to spend’ feature - I look at that literally every day and it’s the number one thing which has helped to reduce my anxiety around my finances. Before you brought in that feature I had to check a Google Spreadsheet to try to work out how much I had left for the month and it was hideous. It may sound melodramatic but I would be devastated if that feature went!

10 Likes

I’m guessing TestFlight isn’t actually required for this for any reason other than to get earlier access than if you’re on the ordinary release (just because a version that supports it is out already).

6 Likes

That’s how I’ve read it as well so holding off on requesting test flight access as it might be in next weeks App Store release :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I am still waiting? Should I receive a message/email to download the beta app fro TestFlight or should the new features appear in my normal app?

Committed spending pot would solve this problem.

It would avoid the need to have summary altogether, as the only valuable information on the summary tab is the “£ left to spend”. The rest of the information on the summary is duplicated from the home and payment screens.

2 Likes

I disagree - all the category budgets are on the summary page.

Unless these are integrated into the app in another way, the summary page is essential to me.

6 Likes

Yeah I was thinking you could add some information to the scheduled payments screen.

1 Like

Good point, I forgot about the category budgets. I don’t use the budget stuff as its not flexible enough for me but the “left to spend” works out the box. The “left to spend” functionality could live outside the summary/budget screen though and committed pots would be a great place for that.

I would need to use a 2nd bank account to handle my bills if they get rid of the “left to spend” feature, which is where I was a year ago. I just hope Monzo figure this one out before they roll out the new UI improvements.

2 Likes

No change for me yet :eyes:

Committed spending pots aren’t really relevant to “left to spend” if you’re spending to a specific budget rather than just whatever money is in the account above the committed spend.

4 Likes

I’d prefer Monzo have the ability to ring fence committed spend (and promote “safe to spend” budgets) as opposed to committed spend pots.

But everyone’s different…

2 Likes

Sure, if you have created a budget then left to spend is redundant for the most part but I rely on that figure to know how much I can spend without accidentally spending money allocated for bills

We could do something like this. Warning: just an exploration/idea from a while ago and not a full solution – there’s some stuff we’d need to figure out further for this route (how to handle time periods, etc) :wink:

43 Likes

Isn’t that the same as a committed spend pot? You set aside money for bills which then leaves you with an account balance that is safe to spend

1 Like

Any ETA on the feature flag being switched for those on the beta and signed up to try the new layout? :blush:

3 Likes

Yes and no… it’s the same in the sense that your main account is the pot… but not the same in the sense that no money has to be moved in/moved out of a pot :wink:

Edit: Mozno could just lock the money for “committed spending” (or have a switch…) and then show what is safe to spend…

I think what I’m proposing is a cleaner solution, but as I say… everyone is different :slight_smile:

That does look really good!

As for time periods etc, it’s tough to suggest where in the screenshots it could be set. If it’s tucked into the app settings screens, it might be too hard to find for users.

Maybe at the bottom of the category tab or if you click on the green (or amber / red) bar?

Edit: I’d personally swap the category and merchant tabs over as I don’t see merchant spend as useful as categories when budgeting.

This doesn’t seem terrible. The main point surely is that categories are hugely useful and should remain easily accessible and viewable.

It has always been one of the key selling points of Monzo that you can see where your money is going and cut down on your XXX spend. Without category budgeting, you lose a huge amount of functionality.

Edit: but this image still doesn’t actually show any category budgets? And again, without this measure it would be much more difficult to, you know, stay within budget. If Monzo is meant to make money work for everyone and make it easier to manage your salary and not overspend, then budgets and categories need to stay as functional as they are today.

7 Likes