We're rethinking Monzo Plus bundles (and some other updates!)

That all sounds great, I understand those tasks will be the company’s priority as the Plus accounts generate some income. Whilst striving to push the things out you’ve mentioned, please don’t neglect the basics on the app. There is still so much work to be done - the payee list on the app is very poor being one example. Monzo is an upgrade on my old bank, but there’s so much more potential.

1 Like

A small but important detail (maybe only to me), but are Monzo looking at improving the level of cover for winter sports? The majority of my holidays are skiing, however I would need off-piste without a guide to be included if there were to be cost effective.

Just catching up on this topic, and for me, this is the best post, even though I am not a Plustomer.

In terms of metal cards, just sell them for a fee, Plus or not. Buying a bank card (or any status symbol) on HP is literally ludicrous.

I think in terms of cash flow companies prefer monthly payments compared to one offs as it’s easier to predict what money you have coming in

1 Like

That’s fine for ongoing services like broadband, or expensive staple products like cars and houses, but when bank cards are free, and the metal one offers no more functionality, it’s just crazy. The other option is the Revolut model, where paying extra for the metal card gets you a significantly nicer account, but the impression I get here is that most people who want Monzo metal just want the card.

2 Likes

The Revolut and N26 approach might be an option

But I agree that the card on it’s own seems to be what most people want

2 Likes

Ha ha - N26! Couldn’t remember why I hadn’t received my card, but just looked again and realised - their pricing is a joke! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Not saying Revolut is any better, but I’m more familiar with them. I got in before they started charging for cards, but have still hardly ever used it, certainly not since Mondo/zo opened).

Monzo+ would be a better logo in my opinion.

Perks need to improve 15% off Tidal is not a fantastic offer. Cornerstone 10% and Zipcar credit surly we can do better than this?

I would prefer Cashback options at selected retailers and or on selected bills for a small monthly fee
Santander Lite is £1
Club Lloyd’s is £3 or free if you pay in £1500 per month.

This would make me choose Monzo as my primary account

Nationwide by far have the most on offer from a packaged bank account point of view at just £13 per month for flex plus.

These could be two different + options

Monzo+cashback
Monzo+travel
Monzo+gadget insurance
Monzo+perks i.e taste card or National Trust
Monzo+student i.e railcards or discounts

The + could be used give you many options.

RG

4 Likes

Take notes from Curve, they have very appealing bundles. It could be a good restart for Monzo plus.

1 Like

Lots of comparisons with Nationwide, I see however that theirs (and other packaged accounts) are due to change soon so best to do a like-for-like comparison.

This is how I’m feeling about it to be fair

2 Likes

[quote=“Sheri, post:1, topic:79387”]
People can still sign up for the bundles if they like what’s on offer, but we’re not migrating existing Plus customers over to anything just yet.

I’m now more confused than ever. As feedback, please note my journey below;

• I had plus (early bird)
  • You then moved to bundles without communicating to existing plustomers
  • I then cancelled and received a refund as bundles isn’t what I wanted
  • You then advise bundles is being paused and you wont migrate any existing customers off
  • I then ask to be put back in as an early bird, and told if I want monzo plus back no problem, just select a bundle by the Cops
  • Now told I can’t go back to the early bird deal
    I have no concept of what is happenig with plus

From a UX that’s not a great experience. Sure that others have had more positive though :smile:

I wish you the best of luck with plus, but I’m out.

1 Like

Of course you can’t go back.

You cancelled the early bird subscription and now it no longer exists, so how could you be added back in?

It would be cancelling an old SIM contract that’s no longer available to new customers and then expecting you can go back to it at a later date.

16 Likes

This :point_up_2: is really disappointing. Monzo co-founders were really enthusiastic about this approach not so long ago.

I’ll wait to see the new approach but not sure I will be able to overlook that Monzo has changed its position so remarkably on being a financial hub and marketplace. :unamused:

4 Likes

Yes it does, there are people still on it

1 Like

Might be nice to hear back from said parties for an update on that

@Sheri has admirably stepped into the breach, but who is actually leading the charge now from the top?

2 Likes

As you know, I’ve not been impressed with the Plus shenanigans… But the only thing I could be critical of if I were @JIMMWX, is the sudden chopping and changing.

Ultimately, you are now asking to be put back on the same package that you cancelled… There is no difference to it now, than there was when you decided to cancel.

I’m assuming (dangerous to do so), that you cancelled because of the direction that Monzo had decided to take with “Bundles”?

It’s a fair point, and I don’t think anyone expected there to be the initial change in the first place, followed by an equally abrupt pausing and re-think of the whole thing.

I don’t see Monzo “grandfathering” anyone into the old Plus package, so I’m not sure why you’d want to go back to it? What are you missing from the original deal?

I can’t remember if the 1.5% interest was still available to people wishing to stick, but if so, you can get the same rate from Marcus or other places (plus, when that initial 12 months is up, that plan will be cancelled anyway).

Any new Plus feature will be available to everyone who signs up to whatever Plus options are available, so I don’t see you missing out.

That being said, it would take a monumental effort to convince me to sign up to Plus now. The benefits would have to be bigger, better and cheaper… Something I don’t think they’ll manage to be able to do.

2 Likes

The people still on it haven’t cancelled, it doesn’t mean you can go back after you cancel unfortunately but those already on it still have to be honoured by the original contract.

I’m still on the early bird offer and still benefit from the 1.5% interest because I haven’t cancelled it… yet (:soon:)

It’s sad to see that the custom pick and mix isn’t going to work, it seemed like a good direction and something I was willing (once it was fully released) to spend more on to have the specifics I wanted. Pick and mix was always going to cost more and I expected it to.

I’d just like to suggest that the new approach is thought through carefully. I really like how savings pots have turned out for example, i think they’re great. You offer something most other banks don’t, good rates within your account.

All I’d suggest for monzo plus is that it’s not turned into a gimmick. I don’t need nor want to pay for swag for some supporter bundle. Just seems like a waste. I want features that make monzo look like a thoughtful and competitive bank providing banking and money features. Whatever that looks like I’d suggest not worrying to much about the community back lash because you’ll obviously get that not matter what direction you go, and just build a solid feature set and just communicate honestly about what it is and how it works when you have landed on something to go forward with.

1 Like

You seem to have conveniently ignored my next sentence…

Point being, it doesn’t exist for those who don’t already have it.

2 Likes