We're hiring a junior community manager!

Can we conduct the interviews on here in the style of a Weekly Q&A?

3 Likes

It is really tempting

Hey all,

There’s been a lot of chat in this thread about the salary expectations for the role, and that’s totally understandable.

Typically we don’t disclose the pay range for roles publicly, for the reasons @naji mentioned above.

We offer a range of salaries with a different amount of compensation via stock. So while the salary for this job is ‘around’ £30k, that’s just the mid-point within a band.

We’re adding this to the job description too. Hope that clears things up.

3 Likes

How do you justify those reasons when Monzo has transparency as such a core value?

Many company’s that are way less transparent post salary ranges for job postings. I don’t see why monzo are so secretive about this.

It’s easy to explain that for example a job posting is between 25 - 45k depending on experience and stock options. Adding that little information even if it leads to more questions on a one two one level is more useful to all candidates.

4 Likes

This makes sense to me. I wouldn’t apply for a job without a salary range declared, its as important a consideration as the job role, job location and company when deciding whether to apply.

4 Likes

My old company didn’t post salary bands as it would ‘reveal what other people in the same role earn’ which would be a ‘breach of privacy’ which I thought was ridiculous - if nothing else, it proved how hard it was to get a pay rise in the company, you could never leave your pre-defined salary bracket (I quit after 3 years as I never got a single salary increase while there, despite working on our biggest accounts and brining in a number of awards).

I think it’s fine to give the lower end of the range and say it is flexible depending on experience.

(Also for what it’s worth, £30k sounds very good for a junior CM role!)

2 Likes

Hopefully we can be more transparent in the future. Watch this space!

3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what is Monzo like for applicants after a complete career change? Worked in different work style roles previously? General question, not specific to this job!

2 Likes