We're halfway through The Big List! An update

I wouldn’t assume that, but ‘when’ will depend on whatever set of internal feature priorities come next so you may still be right.

All that’s claimed at the moment is that the function provides ‘the minimum to allow you to use Monzo as your main account’ (my paraphrase). That’s vastly different from having done everything they could possibly do to a feature.

2 Likes

This is true. I often keep forgetting one of the main goals of the big list was to get basic feature added / fixed that you’d generally find at a legacy bank.

Hopefully big list 2 or whatever the next set of projects are will actually contain feature enhancements :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I delivered this as the MVP for this feature I would literally have been fired :facepunch:. This poor MVP: if you can even call it that, is the result of Monzo being held hostage to their Big List: deliver something to negate the risk of looking bad. Ironic thing is that, in your haste to release “something” rather than “nothing” you have risk your credibility :persevere:. Transparency and honesty is supposed to be your USP, why not just be upfront and admit you ran out of dev budget or that a different feature needed to take priority. If that’s not the case, then it’s definitely the case that you have over marked a feature that is worthless, just like an Apple showcase. Roadmaps change all the time :roll_eyes:.

5 Likes

Who are you addressing that to? If you’d have been fired for that, i suggest you look for a more sensible place to work!

For me, I think it does all that my legacy bank does which is all they offered to provide on this cycle. I realise other banks may do more but I haven’t experienced that.

1 Like
6 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Jack. That’s great news - and moves Mind from parity to being ahead (for direct debits, at least).

(I kinda want / don’t want a dd to fail now :slight_smile:)

5 Likes

I notice “Bring Android fully up to speed with iOS” is marked as done. In terms of the features listed there I suppose it is, but fully up to speed is a highly misleading claim.

As an example, I found out recently that the iOS app supports widgets. Where are these on Android? I appreciate that there might be the odd platform specific limitation, but widgets have existed on android for a very long time now.

I’d be interested to see a side by side list of what features each platform have.

4 Likes

image image

So which one is it? 3 months or 6 weeks ago? I’m confused. Do we have 3 months to wait or one week left?

2 Likes

1 week left until the end!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s misleading - it’s a subjective term.

When we compiled the research to create the Big List - the three things that Android users wanted to bring the Android app up to speed were : Targets, Fingerprint Payments, and Travel Reports.

These are all now done! Widgets didn’t really come up.

In terms of features that Android has that iOS doesn’t : the main ones are card activation via NFC and the ability to set granular notification controls (ie, you can turn on and off the relevant notifications/sounds individually). These are both things that are possible on Android and not on iOS.

Also, it’s a small one, but you can re-order app shortcuts on Android, which you can’t do on iOS.

We had Google Pay for several months before Apple Pay was available, too.

The main thing that came up last time we had the conversation actually wasn’t the widget, but the advanced search that’s available on iOS. Now, the reason this wasn’t included in the big list was because it didn’t come up much in user feedback, it’s not actually used that much on iOS, and it’s far from what we want it to be (it’s kinda broken and error prone). So rather than just porting a half-broken feature from iOS to Android, we’d rather at some point revamp the whole search simultaneously on both platforms - which is exactly what we did with Targets.

The same can be said for widgets - they aren’t used much and are quite error prone, so it’d be a better idea to rebuild on both platforms if we decide to - but low usage means it’s not a priority.

4 Likes

I am assuming when the big list is finished it will be go back and see if anything else on the forums might need doing. Hoping the payee management might be looked at.

8 Likes

But all of these are just features/benefits of the Android platform that can be used. Search and widgets - in general - aren’t limited to or by the platform. It’s just been a conscious decision not to develop these for Android for one reason or another.

If you could activate cards via NFC on iOS, I dare say it would have be in the iOS app from Day Zero :slight_smile:

We had a discussion here on this.

I really don’t think it’s that difficult to see that Android app is not as good as iOS.

https://community.monzo.com/t/why-monzo-think-android-app-is-on-par-with-ios/41645?u=sc95

To my mind bringing one app up to speed with the other means all possible features, not just the ones people have asked for. If you’d phrased it “bring the most asked for features to android” I wouldn’t have raised this objection. I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I’d have been vocal about widgets if I’d known it was part of the iOS app.

Without a list of what features each app contains I don’t see how you expected people to know what features they were missing.

Still, Monzo now does basically everything I use my legacy bank for. If memory serves, that was a big driver of the big list. So, in that regard, it’s mission accomplished. (At least for me, I don’t make much use of depositing cash or cheques)

4 Likes

So interest on savings within a week? Really? That’s the only thing stopping me from going full Monzo.

They said that interest on savings is going to be missed within this Big List deadline.

3 Likes

I’m surprised thats the only reason. All the features Monzo has, all the tech, all the customer support, the design, all for a crappy 1-2% return on your saving pot?

Monzo have said that interest is so low its not really a priority for them.

And if people say “I would rather have that than nothing”, well why not put the money into an ISA or Moneybox which (for me) is getting 7.5% return

3 Likes

I must have missed that. :cry: was a reason given?

1 Like

I think you miss the point. It won’t be Monzo offering interest. It’s integrations with 3rd party providers. Speculating but companies like Nutmeg/Plum etc would fill the gap.

1 Like

I didn’t miss the point. I’m just interested and want to read more. They usually do a piece of writing with each update. I know the international payments is going to be missed - I read that one but won’t be a user for that so I don’t mind. Can you point me in the direction where you found this information please?