We’re crowdfunding up to £20,000,000 and we’d love you to be part of it!

Hi Richard,

I’m thinking about investing for the first time too. I’m not sure how much to invest, I’m trying to save for a mortgage so majority of my savings are locking in an ISA. I may just invest like £50 - £100.

Im unsure but I really think it was capped at every round to £1000 per person this is the 2.5m round I will try and find the other numbers - I know I invested my maximum allotment in the first two rounds - that being £1000

edit

found the first round - 1800+ investors

2 Likes

first round was 51p
second round 100p
third round was 235
this round 771p
all approximate figures

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks. Not sure then how he could have invested £3000. Perhaps this is a cumulative of all rounds? Were there 3 rounds then? I thought there were 2 before this one?

2 Likes

There were three rounds!

2 Likes

Ok, makes sense now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it does.

All your shares are now worth the same amount, £7.71

2 Likes

There have been 3 rounds, the last round only open to existing holders.

Each round was capped at £1,000 (approx for last round).

If you invested max each round you would have invested a total of £3,000, Giving you just under 3,400 shares.

At £7.71 your initial £3,000 investment is now worth about £26,000.

3 Likes

" Worth" on paper yes - by the nature of the shares being illiquid, ie not publicly tradable on the stock exchange - the “profit” could be quite difficult to obtain at the moment - although not impossible

5 Likes

Definitely a “put in the draw and forget about” investment.

Got to admit, once Monzo hits £4 billon plus these little shares of ours start taking on some life changing value! (caveat the aforementioned illiquidity)

1 Like

and if they hit 0 not a life crippling effect :slight_smile: fingers crossed for your scenario rather than mine :crossed_fingers:

however , having previously said having used the app for just about 3 years, seen the staff, seen the functionality over my spending, given the peace of mind it gives me over my finances, I would back your scenario :slight_smile:

9 Likes

One thing I keep wondering is who own the Monzo App i.e the infrastructure. So if Monzo as a brand was to unfortunately die would a potential buyer be able to buy the App in its entirety and then re-skin it with their own brand?

I believe its a built ground up Monzo product.

1 Like

So that means that the App probably has huge retail value assuming the backend is very good as the front end could just be reskinned

1 Like

That’s effectively Starlings business model now, build the stack, and sell that technology to be white labeled.

1 Like

Yes - I expect it’ll be their only model before long.

So if you’re a legacy bank you’re waiting for one of two things to happen:
1)Challenger bank sells out
2) Challenger bank fails and you buy their technology

Would a customer that was UK resident at time of sign-up but which is no longer UK resident be eligible to invest?

and there sort of already doing it for RBS.

1 Like
  1. Challenger bank is roaring success and buys you out.
2 Likes