We just updated our roadmap! (Last update: 14/8/18)

So from the blog post for May:

Summary :recycle: Ongoing
Edit Payments & Standing Orders :recycle:
New Categories :white_check_mark: Done? Added 2 new categories
Pot Tidy Up :x:

Surprises:

• Pay Nearby :white_check_mark:
  • APPLE PAY CONFIRMED??

Missed anything? @cookywook

Might be worth looking at the trello map: https://trello.com/b/9tcaMB4w/monzo-transparent-product-roadmap

They’ve moved a couple of things to near term, I’m most excited to get bill splitting and improved spending + mobile payments :wink: international money transfers is also near term, which will be handy at the end of the year for me but I don’t need atm.

Surprised joint accounts is now near term, since it wasn’t even on the cards before. Shared pots is now pushed to long term.

1 Like

I don’t tend to pay attention to the trello board to be honest because it seems things can jump from not on the board to done and remain in one area for quite some time.

Especially since the gaps between the areas are quite big and the timelines aren’t really updated e.g. Mobile NFC Payments and International Money Transfers have been in near term since July 2017 if im not mistaken?

Prefer to read the guys monthly reports and take it from there.

Mobile NFC payments should be removed as google pay has now been added.

7 Likes

Oh wow, really? :cry:

1 Like

This trello roadmap is just transparent because its named transparent and Monzo can talk about it that they have this transparent roadmap IMO.

I never pay much attention to it because actually there is not much on it anyway. A start-up bank has just couple of dozen things plan and that all… :slight_smile:

Not really. So you’ve found a solution for Coin Jar, but it taking longer than anticipated to put into practice.

This contradicts “putting it on a backburner”… if you’ve found a solution then why not double down your efforts rather than cooling off?

True, I tend to rely on the ‘upcoming’ blog posts/ monthly updates. They often round things up pretty well- I thought March was a pretty slow month, but the blog post was pretty packed with updates.
Was the mobile NFC payment card left there since it was intended for the Android Google Pay we got last year? And it’s just been left since we still haven’t got AP :cry:

Less than 10% of Monzo users have a CoinJar. I wonder how many will use “the ability to edit standing orders and delete people you’ve previously paid” especially now CASS has rolled out…

Also if the solution isn’t simple (as they have said, it will require significant engineering work), just because you know the answer doesn’t make it any easier to implement.

3 Likes

Their May update states they have found the solution, but that it’s taking more time than anticipated to put into practice.

Granted if this is the case, then why put Coin Jar on the backburner rather than double down on efforts to implement said solution? It makes no sense.
P.S. I don’t understand the point you were making in your first paragraph. If you could rephrase that’ll help, thanks.

Because the solution might take more time than initially anticipated, and they’ve had to divert engineering resources elsewhere?

1 Like

Let’s say they double-down, make the significant changes, hold back on improving payments - they’ve improved the interface for 6.67% people who no longer see 2x information.

Or, for the same manhours, they can roll out editing standing orders, which affects let’s say a third of users who no longer need to delete and re-enter standing orders.

One of these is annoying to see but has no major impact in using Monzo. The other has the risks behind having to delete and re-add an order just to change it (entering wrong information, not scheduling correctly etc).

Or to put it another way, I know the easy way to remove pulse is to build my own client. That doesn’t make the actual task of building it any easier.

~6.67 = 40k using Coin Jar / 600k Monzo users

8 Likes

Given 1 engineer created Coin Jar, you do realise doubling down literally only requires one additional engineer right?

If Monzo’s resource constraint is this tight that they’re having to make such unacceptable trade offs, they should hire more engineers.

Furthermore, like I said before, Vaults by Revolut was launched after Coin Jar, with more complexity to it and with more updates since. This is the benchmark of innovation Monzo should be aspiring to keep pace with.

Moreover, which is the correct narrative you apologists want to go with because you keep flip flopping:

1. Monzo can work on multiple features simultaneously without detracting from each other (this is what you and staff said in response to feedback about hashtags vs Apple Pay)
    OR
  2. Monzo can’t do point 1 because you know errr you can’t throw more developers at a problem (this is what you say for instance now with Coin Jar delay vs Revolut Vaults overtaking it on pure specs)
1 Like

Monzo are always hiring :smiley:

There’s 4 positions for Engineering alone! :man_technologist::woman_technologist:

Engineering:
Android Engineer
Backend Engineer
Engineering Manager
Finance Data Analyst

2 Likes

Hopefully this one can make better decisions regarding work priorities. The marginal benefit of adding 1 more engineer to work on Coin Jar should outway the marginal cost.

You can get £2.5K if you know a Backend Emgineer (and they get hired.

This doesn’t read like a one-engineer job:

So what are the figures for their marginal benefit vs marginal cost? I’m assuming you know the details if you can make that statement, or…

5 Likes

@garete made a lot of conjectures and you didn’t ask the same scrutiny of him? Why?

He even used the total Monzo user number to calculate his percentage even though the weekly active user number would be a better denominator.

Precisely why I advocate more engineers on the problem rather than the 1 who has been on it to date :roll_eyes: