We can now automatically update your card details with online shops

I don’t think this makes virtual cards obsolete.
First off ABU (Automatic Billing Updater) is only supposed by a number of merchants, whereas Virtual cards can be used across every merchant.

And also, you can use Virtual Cards for one-off purchases without fear of your card details being leaked. This is the main reason I use them

3 Likes

If you ever see Joost in person, you will realise you’ve never seen such a majestic beard :bearded_person:

For reference, here is the list of the top merchants that support ABU. This is a few months old, so there could be newer ones.

• Adobe
  • Apple
  • Aviva Insurance
  • Dropbox
  • Experian
  • Facebook
  • Financial Times
  • GiffGaff
  • GoDaddy
  • Google
  • Headspace
  • HelloFresh
  • LinkedIn
  • Lyft
  • Microsoft
  • Netflix
  • NowTV
  • Paypal
  • Playstation
  • SimplyCook
  • Sky
  • Sound Cloud
  • Strava
  • Stripe
  • Telegram
  • The New York Times
  • Tinder
  • Uber
  • Uber EATS
  • Vodaphone
  • Wish.com
  • Wix.com
  • Yahoo
  • Zoom
7 Likes

@arthur-ceccotti Are you able to get a message through to Joost about correcting the word frauded?

Also Joost is such a cool name

Joost von Dawson. Hm maybe not, but still cool

3 Likes

Oh yeah?

10 Likes

Fair play. I take it back

4 Likes

Is there a way of letting us know which merchants have been updated as it’s being done? I’m the kind of person who keeps a list of which merchants I need to update card details with, so it would be nice to be told: don’t worry about Apple etc etc…

Also; why doesn’t it work when a user has been frauded (still not a word, friends).

2 Likes

It’s Dumbledore! He’s alive! :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

If the fraudster has used the card somewhere, you don’t want them being handed the new card number too, do you?

1 Like

But the new card number only goes to the merchant, not to the user, right? So what’s the risk?

• Fraudster makes an order with a merchant using your stolen card details.
  • You block the card and order a replacement, to cut off fraud risk.
  • Details automatically update with the merchant and the fraudulent transaction goes through anyway.

That’s the risk.

5 Likes

Ahhh! Makes sense! Thank you

1 Like

It doesn’t update if your card is being replaced due to fraud

1 Like

I know, I was explaining to @urban why this is desirable behaviour:

3 Likes

Yes and no. The data we get back from merchants is really poor quality. So we’ll need some dedicated time to clean it up. Here is a mock I made of what it would look like. If I have side-project time, I’ll try to make it a reality. Thoughts?

27 Likes

The looks great, I hope we see it in the app in the not-too-distant future!

1 Like

Love it! That would be amazing @arthur-ceccotti

I think you mean “if your card is being replaced because it’s been frauded”.

8 Likes

Had an active card check on an old card with PayPal which I hadn’t updated, could it be related to this??

Right. Fraud isn’t a word Monzo… Can’t just make words up!

3 Likes