Waldo, Smol and other practical subscription services

I despise this type of marketing. Especially if you have the guts to go after Method, You best be certain your product squashes theirs. As someone that’s used loads of these, I can comfortably say nothing comes close. Method remains the gold standard for surface cleaners IMO.

If method would just make their laundry tablets available on this side of the Atlantic, SMOL would have one less customer. Sadly, method’s product line in the UK has been shrinking over the years though. I used to love their pump laundry detergent!

I guess if you wanna avoid green washing and just be as green as possible, then buy an e-cloth and follow the provided instructions exactly. Zero plastic involved here, zero chemicals too.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a few complaints so far on social media but nothing massive as such, pretty much a wait and see if they change their minds or not.

It’s not the end of the world :sweat_smile: at least, I can manage with other suppliers

How much are the bottles?

£10 for the starter kit, so 3 bottles and the tabs

To be honest it strikes me of poor product design - like the 3 commonly used sizes of spray cleaner and bottle are what, 250ml, 500ml and 750ml?

They should expect consumers to want to use it in their own way, and given you have to leave an air gap in their bottle (it holds 500ml!), consumers are just going to fill it anyway!

1 Like

My frustration with the smol bottles is that I can’t buy each tablet type individually. I’m forced to either buy only multi purpose tablets or a mixed pack.

We go through a fair amount of the bathroom spray, lots of the multi purpose one but very little of the glass one. So I end up with loads of glass tablets I don’t need.

Maybe that’s telling me I need to clean the windows more, but that means moving all my plants, trying to remember which one goes where, clean the window and then put the plants back in the right place. All so I can see out of the foot of glass which isn’t covered by plants. Yes I live in a jungle :joy:

I do generally find their products and their subscriptions good though. We now get our dishwasher tablets, non bio wash tablets, conditioner and sprays from them.

My OH also bought me a plant subscription from lazyflora for my birthday last November so I get a monthly plant. Only problem is now I need to build an extension to keep them all…

5 Likes

It’s partly branding too isn’t it - the smol bottles are obviously branded and they want people to notice them. I think a lot of the design to look social media friendly and to encourage people to ask.

Mind the only person whose actually noticed ours is our elderly neighbour and she’s barely capable of sending a photo message let alone signing up a subscription :joy:

4 Likes

This is how Home Things started off but people soon started saying they didn’t need the glass cleaner tabs all that often. They altered it so you could get 2 all purpose and 1 bath, still waiting for the day they just allow you to buy whatever numbers of each standalone tab you need :person_facepalming:

Bit more expensive than SMOL at £5 for 3 tabs but I know they’ve said as the company grows they’ll aim to reduce the price. Thing is there’s that many tab cleaning people about these days it’s a wait and see as to how big they become.

This is amazing. Going to sign up immediately.

What plants have you had?

I could never sign up to one of these, mainly as I’ve got a massive independent garden centre within 30 min drive. It’s always nice to go see what’s available in person and choose.

Granted not everyone’s within a reasonable distance of a garden centre.

This sounds interesting. May check it out and see how it compares to Bloombox!

I’m surprised you’re not just buying a monthly plant from Patch though, with that juicy non-exclusive 15% Monzo plus discount! I’ve become a big fan of theirs after the past year, and had the offer been something more exclusive I probably would have stuck with plus just for plant discounts! :wink: another thread tho I’m sure.

I really need to stop looking for new places to buy plants. It’s becoming something of an expensive addiction.

I keep seeing these advertised, they look good!

Re: laundry, I also subscribe to Smol for laundry capsules and fabric conditioner.

Edit: Just subscribed to Wild. Nice monogrammed metal case and a good choice of scents!

1 Like

Wait, are the Plus discounts not Plus exclusive? So can just anybody use the codes/links?

Anybody can Google ‘patch plants coupon’ and get at least what Monzo offer ‘exclusively’.

1 Like

As @lpoolrob says. The 15% patch discount is available everywhere, and they’ll send you the same 15% coupon with every order to use on your next one.

You can also use the Monzo code without being a Monzo Plus member or needing a Monzo card.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same situation with their other offers too.

Not all of them

1 Like

Anything useful at www.Splosh.com ? I’m using their stuff, concentrated gel not tablets but the bottles are standard 500ml. They’ve got a line on the back where you fill up with water to then add the concentrate.

I have nothing but good things to say about Splosh. Everything I’ve tried has been great, and smelt superb.

I really wanted to like Splosh, but thus far, they have been the worst I’ve tried. They just don’t clean unless you use a lot of it. Either I was diluting too little, or I’m just too used to and spoiled by products where a little goes a long way. Wasn’t keen on the fragrances either.

Happy birthday :partying_face:

3 Likes