Waldo, Smol and other practical subscription services

Thanks for the info!

1 Like

So, slight update to this? I went to Specsavers yesterday for a contact lense checkup…

I didn’t tell her I was wearing the daysoft lenses, she thought I was still wearing the Specsavers supplies ones. She said that they were bad for my eyes - no oxygen was allowing it to get in, they were too tight to my eyes (not allowing them to move around) and a couple other things. She was quizzing me when I told her “well actually… These aren’t Specsavers”

I’ve been given two different pairs now by Specsavers to try them, one pair is £42/m!!! Don’t know what I’m going to do after this - I would’ve got a second opinion if she knew I was wearing the Daysoft ones but she didn’t - she told me they were ‘crap’ before she even knew I had the Daysoft ones :thinking:

Has anyone else been for a ‘checkup’ with the Daysoft ones?

I just wear monthly lenses from Vision Express. £20 a month. I pop them in on the 1st of the month and don’t take them out until a month later :neutral_face:. Although it’s pretty rare for people to be able to do that apparently.

I really wanted to try Daysoft because they’re so cheap but don’t like the idea of swapping them every day :persevere:.

I also went for a checkup with my daysoft and she told me they don’t move around at all and there’s oxygen building up on my eyes ( or something)

I’ve switched to Clariti 1 day, and they are so much more comfortable and 100 times easier to put in.

Were you using Daysoft Classic or Daysoft Silk?

That’s what I was effectively told

1 Like

Silk!

Hmmm.

I’m willing to concede that the other lenses (like the ones I used to use) are likely better quality.

But are they worth double the price? I’m not so sure. Remember, at the checkup their objective is still to sell you one of their products.

And the guy behind Daysoft literally invented disposable contact lenses in the first place.

I tried Smol but prefer Homey - lots of similar reviews saying Homey capsules are better too! :slight_smile:

Never heard of them! Link?

https://wearehomey.com/

I just bought a big bag of laundry pods but when they run out I will definitely check that out! Thanks.

Funny thing is, on their records (and to her knowledge) she thought I was still using the Specsavers contact lenses. I had to tell her “well actually I’m using Daysoft…”.

She would’ve thought I was using Specsavers provided ones if I didn’t tell her! Makes me think she was actually giving some good advice; not just trying to tell their product :joy::thinking:

2 Likes

Do report back, I only use Smol because of a recommendation from here.

Homey I notice on their website is part of Unilever so I assume you’re getting essentially a differently branded product that I guess will work very well.

4 Likes

Just noticed that in my browsing - interesting that big brands are buying into (or making) Subscription companies now. Clearly the place to be. Harry’s and Dollar Shave Club being bought by Wilkinsons and Gillette too…

On Smol and Homey - interesting few differences -

Smol claim to be 100% free from any animal derived ingredients, where Homey say they may contain some animal derived ingredients.

(Products may contain processed and denatured animal by products with established uses such as tallow, keratin, collagen, elastin etc.)

Can’t see them by name on the Homey ingredients list though, and a rough comparison there are about 30 - 35 ingredients in each, with Homey having a few more. Most of which are common in both.

1 Like

Good spot Ben. I’m out with Homey, then.

I tried a couple of the subscription contact lens services, but I just didn’t get on with them.
I’d been using Acuvue trueyes dailies, and I found I couldn’t wear the subscription ones for more than a couple of hours.
I now buy Acuvue Oasys dailies on https://www.visiondirect.co.uk/ - but I get through about a box every few months, as I don’t wear them very often

Homey appears to be kaput:

Didn’t last long.

To be honest, I’ve stopped ordering Smol for the reasons I gave earlier in the thread.

The idea is that the packaging fits through the letterbox. Which it clearly does. And yet…

I’m sure postmen and women have a hard enough job, but any action taken other than literally putting it through the letterbox makes it more hassle than it’s worth.

It is recyclable though, which is good.