Volunteering to Approve Merchant Data

Another vote for feedback here… It’s so important in the experience of any tool!

3 Likes

It may well be that certain PayPal merchants have been added to the PayPal merchant group, or manually changed to PayPal.

The best thing to do here is to submit merchant feedback :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve just been through and updated a load of them. There was a backlog, but it isn’t huge.

They do get looked at however we do get a lot of bad suggestions and it is hard, manual work filtering them out, checking the links added and updating the information. It gets very tiring so sadly sometimes correct suggestions get closed by mistake, without being updated :frowning:

For context, this is what a merchant review screen looks like:

With the Mastercard message information we get (quite good on this one):

The grey fields on the left are the current data, right is the new/editable changes with red arrows indicating where a change has been made, or the customer has entered feedback.

If there is a website but no Twitter, I have to go to their website look for social links with correctly cropped logos or find a logo that will fit suitably in a square.

I may also have to change the group (depending if there is one existing), update the location or try to guess what merchant it is (especially international merchants).

15 Likes

When submitting merchants without Twitter, would it help if we submit the URL to the apple-touch-icon resource directly? This usually gives a nice square cropped logo and is defined in the HTML <head> section.

Not always. 1 shop I used 2 weeks ago has no twitter or Facebook, it’s website just has a long rectangular banner and the only place I could find a square logo was google images.
I didn’t bother submitting it, life’s too short for all that

Isn’t it better spending that time when available rather than leaving them incorrect or with no logo etc? I know my car insurance provider, pet insurance provider have no social media platforms and so the only way is to get their logo from the website? I’d rather a slightly non perfect image than no image

1 Like

Totally, and we do take the time to do this. Obviously if literally the only information we have is a malformed name we can’t do much, but if a Twitter/website/other link is provided, or the name is unique enough we do try and get the logo for other sources :+1:

Generally the best quality image is preferred but you can by all means link images in the Twitter section - it’s not hard to cut and paste the link into the correct section our end :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m working in Doha at the moment, so have been submitting quite a lot of corrections… they seem to be taking a long time to be approved though.

Love the behind-the-scenes peek at the internal tools. Any chance you could share more, blurring out sensitive information (or even better, take them on a staging environment without real user data if you’ve got one)?

3 Likes

This made me laugh, I submitted a change on this earlier address was from Google yet only the the logo has appeared yet it now also says “somewhere in Windsor” well errrr no not really as the full address is there already.

Clearly some issues with this system.

IMG_1407

Anyway guess I will just submit again and hope for the best :man_artist: :dancing_men: :european_castle:

4 Likes

But it is somewhere in Windsor though :+1:

I’ve got one that says ‘somewhere on main street’ and the correct postcode. That’ll do me, it’s how we give addresses here anyway

Doesn’t say somewhere here though and the map is fine…

IMG_10AB135613DB-1

1 Like

I’m glad! :ok_hand:

We do have a staging environment :wink:

I am going to have a chat with the Security team and see what might be possible :+1:

6 Likes

I would love to see it, I have a bit of a soft-spot for backends (I think it has something to do with me wanting to have some power over what I can see…).

Now, that’s a nice UI. I wouldn’t mind spending some of my (quite plentiful) spare time approving/disproving them if your nice developers opened up that for privileged non-staff… Again, it’s something I actually enjoy doing - typing stuff in a computer. It’s why I’ve do https://opr.ingress.com

1 Like