Volunteering to Approve Merchant Data

(Jack) #8

I updated one last night and it was updated within 10 mins, other times it’s been a day or two.

(Michael) #9

This is what I’m worried about - Crowdsourcing information is only as strong as the whole loop. Ie, if you’re getting disheartened by it, probably others are too. So Monzo’s data could stagnate. :frowning:

@BethS @HughWells thanks for the info about how they’re both connected … maybe it’s just more improvement needed to the system as whole in terms of feedback or something. I’m wary there’s no “transparency” of it really, and that’s what Monzo’s all about. :eyes:

I’ve updated some of them, and they’ve not updated. :man_shrugging:t3:

(Jack) #10

I think a feed item saying it had been approved or declined would be ideal.

3 Likes
(Michael) #11

Or a push notification which then opened the item that had been improved? I think my feed would fill up too quickly if I got a new feed item each time. :sweat_smile:

1 Like
(James) #12

Some kind of feedback would definitely be good, as ones that I submitted a few weeks ago haven’t updated, whilst some get updated the same day!

(Admittedly the ones that haven’t updated are ones which are still showing as Paypal rather than the actual merchant, or ones where I’ve tried to submit the Facebook logo instead…)

1 Like
(Jolin) #13

I don’t think outsourcing this to volunteers makes sense (aside from technical issues). However, feedback would be hugely useful. Sometimes it feels like hitting a brick wall submitting merchant data.

1 Like

We would leave PayPal as PayPal. We’ve recently changed this so that we should be going back to merchant but this doesn’t always backdate well.

(Jack) #15

I think when improving the logo, I think it should be made clear that other social media accounts such as Facebook & Instagram can also be used by putting the link / handle in.
maybe have a drop down where you say where it’s from.

Collecting info such as website address and phone numbers would be cool for use in the future.

1 Like
(James) #16

Ah, okay, I wasn’t sure whether this was the case as this was posted previously:

So just to confirm, it’s only for Paypal transactions going forward that the merchant logo will be shown, and that previous ones probably can’t be changed/updated?

1 Like
(Kieran McHugh) #17

Anything still shown as PayPal should be reported for review by the team.

4 Likes

As long as it’s a card purchase. The PayPal direct debit will still show as PayPal :+1:

1 Like
(James) #19

Thanks @kieranmch and @BethS! Yes, these have been card payments that are still showing as PayPal even after I’ve reported them.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. :thinking: @kieranmch, have we passed this as an announcement to Cops and that it has changed? Might be worth reiterating in our updates :+1:

(Peter Roberts) #21

Another vote for feedback here… It’s so important in the experience of any tool!

3 Likes
(Hugh Wells) #22

It may well be that certain PayPal merchants have been added to the PayPal merchant group, or manually changed to PayPal.

The best thing to do here is to submit merchant feedback :+1:

3 Likes
(Hugh Wells) #23

I’ve just been through and updated a load of them. There was a backlog, but it isn’t huge.

They do get looked at however we do get a lot of bad suggestions and it is hard, manual work filtering them out, checking the links added and updating the information. It gets very tiring so sadly sometimes correct suggestions get closed by mistake, without being updated :frowning:

For context, this is what a merchant review screen looks like:

With the Mastercard message information we get (quite good on this one):

The grey fields on the left are the current data, right is the new/editable changes with red arrows indicating where a change has been made, or the customer has entered feedback.

If there is a website but no Twitter, I have to go to their website look for social links with correctly cropped logos or find a logo that will fit suitably in a square.

I may also have to change the group (depending if there is one existing), update the location or try to guess what merchant it is (especially international merchants).

15 Likes
(Jolin) #25

When submitting merchants without Twitter, would it help if we submit the URL to the apple-touch-icon resource directly? This usually gives a nice square cropped logo and is defined in the HTML <head> section.

(Emma (still not the app)) #26

Not always. 1 shop I used 2 weeks ago has no twitter or Facebook, it’s website just has a long rectangular banner and the only place I could find a square logo was google images.
I didn’t bother submitting it, life’s too short for all that

Isn’t it better spending that time when available rather than leaving them incorrect or with no logo etc? I know my car insurance provider, pet insurance provider have no social media platforms and so the only way is to get their logo from the website? I’d rather a slightly non perfect image than no image

1 Like
(Hugh Wells) #28

Totally, and we do take the time to do this. Obviously if literally the only information we have is a malformed name we can’t do much, but if a Twitter/website/other link is provided, or the name is unique enough we do try and get the logo for other sources :+1:

Generally the best quality image is preferred but you can by all means link images in the Twitter section - it’s not hard to cut and paste the link into the correct section our end :slight_smile:

4 Likes