Viola Black Discussion

It’s something @anon77964053 pointed out in Slack, and also the meaning a Portuguese friend, and then a Spanish friend took from it - not saying it’s what everyone will bring to mind.

1 Like

Don’t forget the minimum spend of £1 per transaction :joy:.

My brain is fried from reading all those fees.

The sad thing is people will sign up to this and be charged those fees without knowing anything is better :confused:

2 Likes

They are making me embarrassed to be welsh :sweat_smile:

I’ve seen a lot of adverts on tv for their corporate cards lately.

1 Like

I’m Portuguese and I can assure you no one would associate the word “viola” in the context of a financial services company with rape.

The verb by itself can be used to refer to a violation of traffic laws or breach of an utility contract. It only acquires the meaning you’re referring to in a specific context, when used in a very specific, accusatory way.

In fact, it’s a very common verb

2 Likes

Yes, “Viola” can be used to refer to an acoustic guitar and it is a very common verb to refer to a violation as you have explained, however I never used it as either of these where I come from. Must be a slang thing - Almost every time I’ve (and most people in my life) used this word, was to refer to rape.

Also, while it’s true that this association wouldn’t be made as it makes no sense, I wasn’t basing myself on context. I was basing myself in literal word translation and how it was a little odd for a company to have that name.

2 Likes

Well thanks to their advertising people will.
They put the much better option right there in bigger letters :grin:

2 Likes

Fair enough, tough I find it very weird that you’ve mostly seen that word used in that kind of context. Just don’t pay your Telecom bill for a month and you’ll receive a letter saying you’re in “violation” of the terms of contract

Yes, but (in English) you wouldn’t really want to call your fintech ‘violation’, I don’t think?

Sorry, but I don’t really see your point. "Viola " by itself used as a word and not a verb is a musical instrument, that’s what anyone would think of. If you dig deeper is a verb used in a multitude of contexts, so I dont see a problem.

Much worse examples exist. The Hyundai “Kona” has a different name in Portugal for good reason. That yes is a word with an unmistakable meaning that everyone will think of. Getting from “viola” to rape on the other hand is a huge stretch in comparison

If we’re going for stuff that would sound bad in other languages, you have the Dutch Rabobank. Just Google what the word “Rabo” is in portuguese

When there are that many fees, I tend to think of them as fines.

3 Likes

All i can say is Monzo is way better and Monzo’s Customer service is the best

3 Likes

Ey. The Scarlets are a good team, from my hometown. :wink:
I’ll get my friend to have a work with them, try to get them to drop them and pick a better sponsor… Monzo, maybe?

2 Likes

Oh I’m not disputing that! Always enjoyed watching Glasgow beat them! :wink: anyway we are off topic now! :smirk:

Monzo is the way Forward

Rude.

1 Like

Lots of discussion over here -

https://community.monzo.com/t/viola-black-was-well-thats-one-way-to-advertise/56366?u=glasgow

Didn’t see any on the Glasgow subway this morning!

1 Like

Saw it at Bank station in London this morning.

Yeah, it has been there for about a week…

2 Likes

The fact it still doesn’t show up in the app store is surely a sign that it’s some kind of marketing exercise.

Or… They hadn’t factored in how slow Apple are over the Christmas period, and it’s pending approval.

2 Likes

It is in the App Store