Viola Black Discussion

I haven’t seen the twitter video.
I’m beyond confused at this point with what is current brand and what isn’t etc.

1 Like

According to their “group” website, they are all current brands - just with different target audience I guess.

https://www.viola.group/

The Wallet one seems to be specific to Indian market, though.

I imagine just a little bit like Virgin, but for finances.

Listen guys the only thing that matters is this:

Keeeeepp your finanncessss on traaaaaaccckkkkkk with Violaaaa Blackkkkk

12 Likes

A friend just linked me this on Twitter.
Apparently looks like the director of Viola trying to act like a random person who just found out about his own product and went to sign up :joy:twitter.com/ElPedroCat/status/1081162724552380417

1 Like

Scroll up, we already spotted that :slight_smile:

4 Likes

From the looks of a colleague’s computer, Viola Black are also advertising on the Daily Mail’s website. Seems like a pretty hefty marketing budget.

2 Likes

I had loads of adverts on Buzzfeed

1 Like

This page seems to have all but disappeared now…

I always wondered this because in the early days of Monzo and Starling I would have seemingly random card declines in certain places - but when HSBC switched all of their Premier credit cards from Visa to MasterCard (which I believe was the first MasterCard HSBC did in the UK) there was zero issue and it worked flawlessly so your explanation settles that.

Just realised that I actually haven’t seen a picture of a physical viola black card anywhere, not even a stock photo? :thinking:

We’d seen physical pictures of Monzo cards well before the launch as far as I remember?

Wonder if Viola group themselves even have any :thinking:

I can’t believe they haven’t at least produced mock cards given the amount they’ve spent in advertising. They may not have any working cards, but a fake one is just a bit of rectangular coloured plastic.

https://community.monzo.com/t/viola-black-discussion-feedback/56366/317

Should give you an idea of the look.

I also got that ad , the voiceover says “new way to manage money …bla bla… move over monzo”

Maybe they’re being ultra techie and going virtual card first… Highly highly doubt it though :rofl:

2 Likes

I genuinely think this advertisement is only doing any good for Monzo. First I thought that it says Move over to Monzo anyway. Then I just thought that people who don’t know Monzo might look it up when they see this and others will laugh about it when they look at the fees.

2 Likes

Looks like Which? have picked up on the Viola Black ‘hype’.

Seems a pretty fair assessment to me.

4 Likes

Is this a good time to tell you that Monzo are opening a new office in Cardiff?? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Expanding the Cardiff office. Been one there for a while

2 Likes

Edit:

2 Likes

Some 15% of all new UK bank accounts are Monzo accounts, and Monzo became a Which? Recommended Provider in our latest banking survey, with the highest consumer score of any UK bank.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/01/viola-black-is-it-really-a-rival-to-monzo/ - Which?

Pretty cool, didn’t know that 15% of new accounts are Monzo!

10 Likes