šŸ‡»šŸ‡³ Monzo in Vietnam [Discussion]

From my research, Monzo seems to be the way to go with travel! I have one big concern; if I lose my card in Vietnam (I am going in a few weeks), will I be able to get a replacement while I am out there?

As long as itā€™d get to you in time then yes, it looks like they would :tada:

Since Monzoā€™s still in beta, you should carry a spare card too though.

Yes I was planning on bringing my normal debit too as a back up, I guess it depends how long it takes to arrive, or if you could go somewhere to get a replacement or something. Thank you!!

1 Like

Hopefully you wonā€™t have to find out :crossed_fingers: but Iā€™m sure the support team will let you know if it happens :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi, we are going out to Vietnam end of October, so I would be really interested to hear your opinion on how you get on with Monzo out there :slight_smile:

Of course! My pal already uses Monzo for travelling and thinks itā€™s great so weā€™ll both be using it there.

1 Like

This post really helped me out when I was travelling in North Vietnam last week (Hanoi, Sa Pa, Ha Long Bay, Cat Ba Island)! Iā€™d like to add a few updates from my own experience:

-In Hanoi I couldnā€™t seem to find many Military Bank ATMs near where I was staying in the Old Quarter
-An SeA ATM wanted to charge me 33k VND for a withdrawal (maybe they have updated this recently?)
-I only used VP bank and TP bank ATMs in Hanoi which are both free to withdraw from

Mind you, 33k sounds a lot until you look at the exchange rate which is 26k per Ā£, so it equates to Ā£1.50, Ā£2 max.

Is it possible to have more than one Monzo card on the same account, does anyone know?

Answer is ā€˜nopeā€™ as of right now and in nearest Current Account future. More info and ideas can be found in topics below, feel free to leave more feedback in those topics :smiley: :

Iā€™m currently in Vietnam and it looks like SeA bank have started charging for foreign cards. Iā€™ve tried it twice now and both times I was charged 49,500 dong for the withdrawal. VP bank and MB are both still free so I would recommend using them. I think MB has the higher withdrawal limit though and offers smaller denominations of notes

2 Likes

I concur with Ollie, SEABank seem to charge 49500 VND for Monzo withdrawals. The ATMs themselves still say free for European cards so Iā€™m not sure where the charges come fromā€¦

VPBank and MB bank both worked well for us - there were plenty in Hanoi and Saigon, and a fairly convenient MB bank atm in Hoi An. In Hue the ATMs were a bit out from where we were, so the tip to get money out before was a good one.

What notes we got was pretty pot luck though, both banks just gave us 500 000 notes on occasion, and sometimes gave us a good selection of notes so I donā€™t think it can be relied upon!

1 Like

Used my monzo in Vietnam several times,so far not a problem, just wish could have 2cards one account ( Mr & Mrs ) must be possible in this techi world !!

2 Likes

You can get 2 cards if you and Mrs have separate accounts. :wink: Here are some topics you might find related/useful, feel free to drop more feedback in there! :smiley:

UBER works well in Vietnam and can be rediculously cheap but itā€™s worth verifying location addresses with google maps first.

2 Likes

We found the same. Itā€™s much better to use Uber than the local taxiā€™s but we found a couple of times that the address we added to go to the right place so itā€™s worth verifying.

Weā€™re in OZ now, the ā€œknowledgeā€ is much better but in Sydney public transport is cheapest. Their Opal card can be topped up with Monzo with no charge.

1 Like

Hi guys! Thanks for posting the tips in the forum. Just a few things to watch out for:

• the SEa bank in Ly Thai To Street charged me a fee of 50.000 VND
  • when using google maps to identify the ATMS I found that some of them around the Hoan Kiem Lale habe been misplaced or the bank is under construction.
  • the safest place to withdraw money is VP bank. 85 didnā€™t charge me any time in different areas.

Hope this helps
D

vpbank defo no charges , tuck money out lost of times and zero charge

MB Bank ATMs now charge 33,000 Dong ~Ā£1 on a 1,00,000 withdrawal(previous posts on this forum indicate they didnā€™t, not sure when it changed).

VP Bank donā€™t, and they seem to have a good reputation (first choice for a few expats in Ho Chi Minh).

No issues whatsoever using the card simply as a card, Mastercard seems just as widely accepted as Visa. They have a slightly strange system of requiring both a pin and a signature but Iā€™ve never found it to be an issue. Iā€™ve also read somewhere that Vietnamese pin numbers are often 6 digits and you need to put in 2 leading 00ā€™s, I never experienced that.

2 Likes

Just used an MSB atm in Hanoi. There was no charge.