Value added accounts /premium accounts

Suppose it depends on what it’s actually called and the function. Free vs premium sounds like those who don’t pay get a lesser quality product but if you add some features as bolt ons/add ons it sounds a lot better

4 Likes

Good points, all. I’ve not had a ‘legacy’ account however that allowed account top ups from a separate card, not actual current accounts at any rate. With that in mind it’s already a ‘premium’ feature. Perhaps limiting card top ups to, say, once a week for those who don’t want to purchase an “add on” feature for the month? Just a random idea that occurred to me earlier today, and something I wouldn’t mind paying for that I would genuinely find useful.

Many of us haven’t switched to Monzo- because our legacy banks offer some sort of premium account that we pay a service charge for.

I have, for example, Nationwide. It offers mobile phone insurance, global travel insurance and breakdown cover.

If Monzo- was willing to do the same what would you like to see?

Would £15-20 per month be too much for some?

1 Like

No thanks, I wouldn’t pay. I would want to research companies and choose the best for my needs without being packaged

7 Likes

You nailed it, similar to my existing ones such as breakdown cover, phone insurance etc. Most of them are pretty standard across banks but it would be nice to have them plus something additional interesting and convenient, I just tried to think of something on the spot but couldn’t. Looking forward to peoples ideas though :smile:

1 Like

Mobile phone insurance might not be as important if Web app comes out soon!

Not so much inportant but I like my device being insured and it would probably cost me more to protect it independently via another provider and that doesn’t include road assistance etc.

I would not want to pay a monthly fee but would pay small separate one off charges for UK cash withdrawals, ordering a new card, etc.

1 Like

FYI my best guess is this is never going to happen because it doesn’t align well with Monzo’s values of inclusivity in my opinion -

although

2 Likes

I’m with @Rat_au_van. I would rather do my own research and pick the best company for me rather than have a provider dictated to me.

4 Likes

I can see Monzo offering product bundles from the services already in their marketplace at a slight discount over signing up separately.
Most legacy bank services in regards to phone insurance and car breakdown are handled by third parties in the background anyway.

2 Likes

I dont think the packages are worth it, like the bundling of phone insurance, breakdown etc…
Although NatWest do a ‘Reward’ account where they give you 2% back on household bills for stuff like Elec/Gas, council tax etc. and that can be worth it.

They charge £2 for the account a month but i think we get about £8 back in rewards each month (so £6).
The only problem is, they take £2 out of your account, but the rewards go into a separate account that you have to withdraw from (and that takes time about a week).
not sure if you would class it as a premium/paid feature though? although it ~may~ stop me moving our joint account to Monzo when its available :slight_smile:

Sorry for moving these posts a couple of times, just trying to keep all the discussion in one place, I hope everyone can keep up :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Different drinks for different people, but packaged accounts works wonders for us.

• 2 iPhones covered (useful when you have a 4 and 2 year old!)
  • Travel insurance
  • Breakdown cover

We would want all of these anyway, and paying £12 a month is great value for money - considering the cost to insure one phone. (I know the pros and cons of insuring phones has been done to death in another thread!).

For this reason, we’ll be keeping our Halifax account going and using the - hopefully soon to be released - Monzo joint account for day to day spending.

I wonder if paid accounts are on the way? Is a customer cost £15 a year? Cos I would pay that as a fee.

That would depend on whether you want a massive drop off in customers again I suspect. In any case, charging, as said elsewhere on the forum, goes against a number of the accessibility targets that Monzo are aiming for.

3 Likes

Well it would be a paid tier I guess although what it includes who knows

If that’s the case i’d move back to legacy. They are catching up with Monzo fairly quickly in some respects and nothing is locked behind a paid account with them. So I personally wouldn’t pay for a Monzo account

1 Like

There’s nothing in this story (where today’s posts were moved from) to suggest paid accounts are on the way & I don’t think there’s much point in restarting this discussion from the beginning. As this topic already exists (please read the earlier posts in that thread to avoid repeating any ideas), I’ve moved these posts here so that you can continue the discussion.

3 Likes

I used to pay £19/month to NatWest for a platinum account with Car Breakdown Cover, phone insurance, travel insurance, Cashback and a load of other things.

They should offer something like this.

1 Like