Using Monzo everywhere: improving merchant acceptance

Now it has suddenly worked, after about 10 attempts lol. Who knows what the issue was then!
I don’t like that the lottery website forces you to store your card details on the website. When paying for stuff online I prefer to use Safari autofill, or if I have to store the card number on the website then I could much prefer to use a credit card.

(Gareth) #297

Funnily enough, I just tried to add a different (well known) card to the lottery website and got the same screen. Doesn’t look Monzo related :slight_smile:

Edit: It worked the second time

(Adam Kendrew) #298

DFS don’t accept the Monzo sort code for their finance. I think the alert mentioned something to do with not locating an IBAN.

Hopefully they can switch the direct debit over the phone back to our JA.

(Emily Jones) #299

Thames Water still not validating Monzo correctly on the website. Seems to be a known issue for other Monzo customers and we followed advice to block the JavaScript element. Bit of a pain though - they’ve known about it for over a year.

TUI have just had their card machine decline my purchase twice during a flight. Error came up saying declined and check expiry date. Weirdly it worked on the flight out for drinks so definitely seems to be an intermittent acceptance issue.

(Alex) #301

I flew on Norwegian Airlines yesterday and my card would not work via mag stripe but did work if he keyed in the number. On my return flight today it again failed in mag stripe but she wouldn’t key it, she said Monzo cards (which they see often) are always having problems. I am not sure if it is my card as the strip looks a bit worn but not too bad.

(Nick) #302

ISTR you have to enable mag stripe transactions in app before they will work, and that doing so only lasts for 24 hours.

(MikeF) #303

That is for Mag Stripe ATM transactions specifically. Not POS transactions.

(Nick) #304

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

There was actually a discussion around this and @Louis.cox first said that some offline payments might need magstripe enabled but he clarified this later…

@Acdeag you might wanna send a DM to @Louis.cox or report on chat.

(Louis Cox) #306

Hey everyone!

VERY pleased to announce that Thames Water’s data validation partners have (finally) fixed the issue! :tada:

I want to apologise for how long this has taken - many customers have been unable to set up a Direct Debit for well over a year. Work-arounds like blocking JavaScript, although impressive, shouldn’t be necessary. I am sorry this has taken so long to resolve.

I would also like to apologise for the radio silence on the forum - we have been super busy in the payments team over the past few months - scaling operations and joining new schemes!

In terms of Merchant Acceptance, we are still tracking and investigating issues, but we have let the updates slip :disappointed:

Please keep reporting issues you come across to customer support in the app, and send through as much evidence as you can - it really helps!

Great news! :tada: Thanks for the update.

In related news…

… new schemes, you say? :thinking:

Tell us more! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (If you can and are able, obvs!)

(Hugh Wells) #308

PayPoint counts as a new scheme - but we’re off topic now! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Kolok) #309

My Monzo wouldn’t work when trying to buy a PAYG phone from Vodafone, I can’t remember the error but it was definitely something generic like ‘something went wrong’ I tried amending everything but eventually it went through when using a different card.

In-store or online? I recently topped up a Vodafone Pay and Go online with Starling Bank (so not even 3D-Secure so worse compared to Monzo from Voda’s perspective) and it was perfectly fine.

(Kolok) #311

This was online for a PAYG phone with a £10 top-up in one transaction.

(Ryan Kirk) #312

ShopDirect (Very and Littlewoods) still don’t recognise the Monzo sort code as being a current account so refuse it on the grounds of it being a savings account :weary:

(Hugo Vieira) #313

Last time I checked, Vodafone still doesn’t like Monzo’s cards when signing up to any of their plans.

(Simon) #314

I couldn’t use my Monzo card on admiral.com to buy car insurance recently. Their website just refused to accept the card with no message in the Monzo app

So, unsure if this is the right topic but got a new contract with EE a couple days ago.

They wanted my card number for a credit check & bank details for a DD to be setup. Bank details were OK for the DD and that’s been setup in my app, however, on the phone the woman said the system didn’t like the Monzo card and was rejecting it. She asked me if I had another card (which I did - Nationwide) and that worked flawlessly.

When she said the system was rejecting the Monzo card, I had a notification in my app for an auth charge from EE, so really unsure what that was about. Anyone had similar?