Using Monzo everywhere: improving merchant acceptance

Never had any issues with Amazon UK.

3 Likes

Even this doesn’t make sense. As soon as you enter your card number, they know exactly what kind of card it is from the first part of the BIN. I’ve never understood why sites ask you to specify card type, it seems like pointless busy-work.

7 Likes

Probably to do with end user perception. “Oh gosh I hope they know it’s a debit card I don’t want to pay a fee” etc.

1 Like

I agree. It’s like, “We used to do it like this because we made a bit of extra from the fees, so we’ll continue doing it like this because we can’t be bothered to change it.”

Had my first decline at Asda Andover yesterday, had to get cash to pay as Monzo was the only card with me. Transaction appears in app followed by reversal. Informed in app chat.

2 Likes

EasyJet issues have now been resolved! :raised_hands: :tada:

15 Likes

What exactly was the problem?

1 Like

He told me on Saturday, they were still declining :confused: . I hope it’s not though :raised_hands: !
I’ll ask him if another memo went out since then :smile:

1 Like

Can we find out what their actual reason for not accepting Monzo was?

1 Like

lol good to know - I was on an easy jet flight last saturday when it was declined - the staff said they had had an email from head office saying they were not allowed to accept Monzo cards - on the return trip a week later the flight attendants looked at the Monzo card on the back to check that it had “debit” symbol on the silver stamp on the back and said it was fine because it had this and accepted it saying “oh thats Ok its only the prepaid we don’t accept” - I got out all my Monzo prepaid cards and showed them the “debit” stamp on the back , but pointed out all the prepaid had the account number on the front of the card bottom left - some education of easy jet attendants seems to be required :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Random question: what happens if someone tries to use a now defunct prepaid card on a flight? Could this cause offline transactions that monzo will not pay (this would be wirecards problem now right?) ?

1 Like

Nothing. Prepaid cards do not support offline transactions.

Possibly; I don’t know the answer so I’ve asked :sweat_smile:

EDIT: EasyJet weren’t aware we’d moved away from issuing prepaid cards and they aren’t able to accept prepaid cards through their terminals :sweat:

9 Likes

A little off topic…but does anybody know what this stamp is actually called on the back? Is it MasterCard specific or do all ‘Debit’ cards carry it? I’m wanting a vector for a mockup I’m playing with and would rather not have to create one myself.

It’s just called the mastercard hologram it’s one of the security features

To answer your question all debit cards carry it. There are brand specific versions, depending on if your card is Mastercard or Visa.

1 Like

Good news. Hopefully easyJet staff will get the message soon.

And welcome back!

4 Likes

Welcome back, @HughWells - hope you had a great break! (Did you fly EasyJet? :wink:)

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll have another look for the vector :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Is there any update on FB messenger payments accepting Monzo? Always comes up saying card not supported.

1 Like

Same here but I can only assume it’s a Facebook issue. I’ve complained to them several times but to no avail :frowning:

1 Like