šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø Monzo in the USA [Discussion]

Haha - I was at the San Mateo Caltrain station earlier this year with the exact same issue. Interestingly, I seem to recall that my Santander wasnā€™t accepted either - ended up paying with a credit card.

Headed back to the Bay Area in a few days, should have far less acceptance issues now :grinning:

Awh man. Hope you have a blast! I know one place where the card works just fine, and thatā€™s the Mikkeller Bar on Mason St, San Francisco :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of curiosity, how can I easily find out which version of the Current Account preview debit card I have so I bear this in mind for next time?

1 Like

If it doesnā€™t have a name on it at all, thatā€™s the first version of the current account card. Ideally you should replace this one if you have it, as it doesnā€™t support offline-only transactions or contactless magstripe which is used a lot in the US.

If it says ā€œMonzo Bankā€ instead of the name, thatā€™s the second version, and if it says your name on it thatā€™s the third and final version. Spec wise thereā€™s no difference between the two - I use the ā€œMonzo Bankā€ one myself as I canā€™t be bothered to change it again at the moment :smiley:

2 Likes

Ooh thatā€™s right you had cards with no name on themā€¦ Was there a name (fake name) in the track 1 data on the magstripe?

If not, that could have been the problem. I know, I knowā€¦ But Iā€™ve definitely seen that cause issues in the US before.

1 Like

Is there anything monzo can do about not been accepted on the New York subway / long island railroad road system. Apart from that and contactless everything else worked fine. However the subway issue did cause a fair few frustrations (especially when you read people saying 'type 99999: or ā€˜type 10001ā€™ and nothing works )

For LIRR I just buy them in their app now. Saves queueing.

Going to New York in Feb so be good to see a solution!

1 Like

Did you try doing what Mastercard actually recommends (digits from your postcode followed by trailing zeros)? Iā€™m not convinced it will work any better, but Iā€™m curious if you tried it.

Just landed in New Orleans. Taxi from airport. Monzo 1 Curve 0

1 Like

I went to America over the Thanksgiving period and took my monzo with the aim being to use it as my main card. Iā€™m so glad I did as it was extremely easy.

First of all, not once was I asked about DCC. Everywhere I went was automatically processed in $, not sure if this is because I wasnā€™t in a high tourist area or if itā€™s something Mastercard or Monzo have worked on? :thinking:

Secondly, I only had my monzo card actually declined once, now this is where I hope monzo team can work on an update, as the app didnā€™t tell me why it was declined, so I had to use my legacy card;
photo_2018-01-01_16-51-37
As well as my card being declined there, the map is horribly wrong, not sure if just a glitch or what.
The other place I had issue with my card was trying to order Pizza Hut Delivery whilst there. The app told me incorrect expiry date, so I suspect the issue was due to date formats perhaps?

Everywhere else took my card fine either with contactless - or ā€œtapā€ as it was called, Chip and PIN, or swipe.
My only further feedback would be the option to add information about places. I noticed that nearly everywhere I went had no image, except for Charleyā€™s Steakery and Krispy Kreme, even down to common places such as T-Mobile and Gamestop having no icon.
photo_2018-01-01_16-51-35

I really liked being able to track what I spent in both $ and Ā£, it was highly useful for tracking my budget.

So overall Monzo worked amazingly whilst I was over in the States. Better than my legacy card, quick story; above I mentioned using it at a Coke machine, despite telling my legacy building society that I would be in Michigan, they saw that transaction and locked my card until I went into a UK Branch - good job I only needed to use it that once!

Iā€™m hoping Iā€™ll be back to the States again, and monzo will definitely be my go to card! :monzopride: :monzopride: :monzopride:

2 Likes

Was that a Coca-Cola Vending machine with one of the old swipe and magstripe contactless readers they use? Those things decline a ton, even with US-issued cards. Only some cards work with them, using contactless.

Try swiping if you really want to use one, thatā€™s more likely to work.

1 Like

I just wonder why they would decline, as in this case it seems like the transaction was sent to Monzo just fine. If it was a faulty reader Iā€™d assume it wouldnā€™t even reach out to the acquirer bank to authorise the transaction.

I donā€™t know but I always figured there was something about the authorisation message from them that banks donā€™t likeā€¦ itā€™s not random. Some banks always approve, some always decline.

@RichardR - perhaps you could comment why so many cards decline at US Coke vending machines? Itā€™d be interesting info if youā€™re able to. I figure there must be something really odd about them to decline so often, and to actually cause one of @aimeec110ā€™s banks to completely lock out their accountā€¦ (though thatā€™s really never acceptable to strand someone abroad).

I would assume a problem with authorization messages. It even happens with ATMs. I have a local ATM here in Essex (Cashzone) that is always declined by a Dutch bank due to an incorrectly formatted message.

2 Likes

If you do get such a decline you can ask support and they will give you the decline reason as described by the Monzo card processor :wink:

1 Like

Cool, Iā€™ll see if itā€™s still happening next time Iā€™m in the US.

Not even swipe worked, but worked with legacy. Itā€™s bizarre. Legacy claimed when I was locked out it was due to the ā€œlow security of the transactionā€ whatever that means!

1 Like

It could just mean contactless magstripe mode, but I think thereā€™s more to it than that given how many even American banks decline transactions from these machines when they allow other contactless magstripe transactions. Have you asked Monzo the decline reason?

Also, your legacy bank punishing you by locking your account out for the rest of your trip because you dared use your card at the worldā€™s largest beverage companyā€™s machine is just over the top. To me, thatā€™s unacceptable. Imagine if you were one of the people who only has one cardā€¦

Can I ask - Iā€™m here in America now and Iā€™ve tried to take cash out a few times but Iā€™ve noticed that each ATM Iā€™ve tried charges a fee (ranging from $3-8)- I know this isnā€™t a monzo cost (I think itā€™s free up to $200?) but is from the bank / ATM - did you find anywhere where it was free to take cash out, please? Thank you in advance! Iā€™ve got my monzo which I am using but Iā€™ve noticed that people definitely prefer cash and cards are definitely not used as widely hereā€¦ thank you!

from the "monzo in the USA " wiki thread

• ATMs
    Many ATMs in the US are magstripe ATMs. In order to withdraw money from them, youā€™ll need to turn on the ability to withdraw cash from magstripe ATMs from Settings.

Most ATMs charge to withdraw cash (approximately $3 but can be up to $6). Reports suggest TD Bank, Wells Fargo and Citibank might be free. Another person says ā€œthe best I found were the Allpoint ATMs that are located in McDonalds or Western Union that only charged $1.19 a timeā€.