🇺🇸 Monzo in the USA [Discussion]

I’m surprised the lack of chip and sign is a problem - I would’ve expect the card terminals to fall back to another verification method like chip and PIN.

1 Like

Hi Guys
Was in USA for two weeks, got back last Saturday. MONZO card worked a treat, except for the one time I forgot, and added a tip, and the declined transactions at Starbucks at JFK airport. Worked fine at every other Starbucks we had used previously.

When we got back there were two transactions that were “pending” confirmation of exchange rate. Not a problem but, a week later the same transactions are still pending and for the same reason.
Any particular reason why this is the case?
No other issues and really wish the cash card could remain available!

It can take a while for merchants to present the transaction for settlement! The pending authorisation may even drop off and a few days later be reinstated as a new transaction - it’s just bad merchant systems.

The Beta card was always going to be replaced by the current account. You can use the current account exactly like you use the prepaid programme :slight_smile: Nothing changes, execpt the couple of declined transactions you mentioned probably would have gone through fine on the current account.

5 Likes

Just back from a trip to Oregon and used my current account.
Pretty much worked flawlessly everywhere except for two merchants, one was using a “Chip & Sign” which isn’t currently supported by Monzo as per CS. Second one there was a bug in the Monzo processor for a vendor, again CS support were excellent and are getting it sorted!

Didn’t withdraw any cash which is great!

And of course the Hot Coral got lots of love, few saying it’s the best card they’ve seen!

5 Likes

Hi! I also had transactions declined at a Starbucks in an airport - this time at Columbus, Ohio. Does anyone from Monzo know why this might be the case? Sorry if I’ve missed it somewhere.

if this was today there was a problem with the prepaid cards

https://mondo.statuspage.io/

1 Like

Thanks, it was on Saturday actually.

Prepaid or current card?

I travel a lot to the USA with work - i am looking forward to using my monzo out there and I appreciate all these tips.

Personally, I can’t see a huge need for cash - especially in New York! Pretty much every merchant will take card, if you’re going for a couple of weeks I’d guess you would only need about $50 actual cash.

With regards to names on cards: this is only usually a problem with hotels who like to verify the name on the card. Your best bet is to pay with a credit card - this isn’t an issue with Monzo Current Accounts which have names on the card.

Just on another note, contrary to what Martin Lewis says - Monzo is a bank not just a currency card. I hope you like the experience enough to continue using the card in the UK :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’ll need some dollars in the US to tip everyone you meet.

You should always have a backup card handy just in case though, that would apply to any card, not just Monzo.

2 Likes

erm … yes it is free to use , not just in England , but the whole of the UK :slight_smile: and still free to use all over the world with POS terminals

3 Likes

Indeed. As previously mentioned it is not a travel card - Monzo is a bank

5 Likes

Monzo doesn’t pay interest on Current Accounts (but you get a lot in return)

lol -whats the interest rate - I get 0.05% on my Lloyds internet saver - thats just under ÂŁ1 / week or ÂŁ50 a year for having a constant ÂŁ100,000 in their bank over the year - if I want to use my Lloyds debit card abroad to pay for goods at POS terminal they then charge me 2.99% of the transaction and then a further 50p non sterling purchase fee - remember I could be buying a ÂŁ5 beer - 50p transaction fee alone :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - Monzo POS payments all around the world are free and get the mastercard rate - which is about the best you can get

2 Likes

^ wot he said :wink:

You also get awesome customer service, instant notifications, a really cool app and new features coming thick and fast :smiley:

3 Likes

yeah buts what in it for me :slight_smile:

The prepayment card is no longer available and existing prepayment yards are being migrated to the current account.

You can use the current account in the same way as the prepayment if you want.

4 Likes

It’s always fun to use contactless cards in the US because cashiers think you’re some kind of voodoo magician. Contactless cards are rare in the US (HSBC offers them as standard, American Express you have to ask, and the Citi Costco Visa - that’s about it).

Beware (and I don’t have my Monzo card, but with other banks) that contactless will decline a LOT in the US because a lot of shops (not McDonald’s) use an old, insecure contactless mode (magstripe emulation, which is vulnerable to pre-play attacks) and British banks generally decline it. I saw in another thread that Monzo is considering allowing it… not sure how I feel about that, tbh…

1 Like

Just back from NYC… Monzo was better than I thought it could be… Black Friday Sales Food and Travel… No issues tho definitely use cash for tips…

1 Like