Underdogs, hot-coral cards and a new mobile network

Expensive.

1 Like

As mentioned, we can’t compete on rock-bottom pricing without the scale of other companies. We’ll do our best to delight everywhere else! :smiley:

Besides, with a free year on the table for referring people, we may just be one of the cheapest :wink:

2 Likes

Besides, with a free year on the table for referring people, we may just be one of the cheapest

I’m worrying about the sustainability of that and I’d rather not see Zevvle cutting corners somewhere else.

I personally would like a mobile carrier that actually respects me, does not do sketchy stuff behind my back like selling data to marketing scamming companies and can actually afford hiring competent staff.

5 Likes

On the subject of data…

I’ve yet to see any provider other than Three compete for users of higher quantities of data. I always found EE expensive on this front and I suspect that that reflects itself here in how much they charge Zevvle (and is then passed on) to the consumer.

I currently pay Three £24 monthly and there’s effectively a 1TB domestic limit (marketed as ‘all you can eat’). I’m not sure if they’re massively overselling or what, but I’ve not experienced any issues using the service and the speed is decent enough.

So whilst this is really cool to see, do you not worry that partnering with EE has limited you in terms of what you can offer with data @nbgoodall?

the speed is decent enough

Maybe depends on where you are and what times, but in central London at peak times I’ve seen it being barely usable. A handful of mbps at most.

1 Like

Yeah I’m rarely in London by choice, which may explain my experiences. I’ve had some issues around Waterloo in the past, but my Vodafone corp phone hasn’t done much better under the same circumstances either.

Could not agree more. :pray:

It’s a balancing act (growth vs. free months), and time will tell whether it’s possible in the long-run. I doubt it, and it’s the first thing we’ll drop if something isn’t working.

Personally I hate offers as they value new customers over existing ones, and it’s something we’ll never do (“£5 off for your first three months”). But giving something in return for helping us grow? Absolutely.

3 Likes

Could not agree more.

It’s actually surprising (and somewhat unsettling) to see someone sane in a bullshit industry that is usually all about ripping off the customer as much as possible (1£+/minute for out-of-bundle calls, MMS charges even though it’s literally an HTTP POST) and making even more profit by giving away all their data to the highest bidder, and then building infrastructure to track the customers even more (O2 WiFi, etc).

2 Likes

You’re probably right (I haven’t seen their commercials however), though as Andre alluded to I believe it’s a trade-off for speed and coverage. I’m confident we’re in a good place to start with, but we’re not locked-in for the long-term so who knows what the future holds… :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t think beating the other carriers is a valid idea right from the start (nor is it even possible from a profitability point of view), and personally I would be OK with EE coverage (although I’d miss being able to hop on any network I want like I can do with my current SIM). What Zevvle are planning to offer at the moment is decent for the majority of people. Edge-cases can be handled later down the line. Just like Monzo, there are some things that aren’t possible (cash deposits, etc) and yet this didn’t prevent them from cornering the challenger bank market and actually starting a new generation of banking.

The main benefit of Zevvle in my opinion is a totally different approach to mobile plans which will hopefully make the entire industry better by forcing the competitors to up their game and match that. Customers of all carriers will be much better off as a result.

1 Like

Sadly I’m currently looking to go down from £10.50 for 1Gb pcm (offspring starting uni so need to save money from everywhere) otherwise I may have been tempted. It’s all about price for the next year or 3.

EE is good for me from the viewpoint that it’s the only network that has any coverage in the office so Zevvle is now on the ‘acceptable’ list but the current pricing doesn’t work against £6 from Virgin or (going off network) £5 from CPW.

Please don’t read this as a dig, I’m fully supporting of your aims, I’m just panicking about cash flow from September!

3 Likes

the current pricing doesn’t work against £6 from Virgin

I wouldn’t go with Virgin even if they paid me. :joy: They are truly the worst - probably even worse than Comcast in the US and definitely the worst of any carrier I’ve dealt with in the UK.

2 Likes

I started with them 20 years or so ago, they weren’t too bad then. I’m with EE themselves at the moment and it’s not guaranteed that I’ll move. The ID feedback is always atrocious but I’ve never had an issue with the kids accounts so I always have a little pinch of salt in the mix when talking module.

You come across as having a particularly jaded view of the mobile market (not saying you’re wrong) so I’d be interested to know where you would go at the moment?

1 Like

The ID feedback is always atrocious

Feedback on telcos is pretty much always irrelevant as they are all bad in one way or another so like the TrustPilot score would always be hovering around zero (although I saw one that seemed to be buying reviews - thought it was Three but just checked and doesn’t look like it) - this however does not allow you to judge how bad they are, so I wouldn’t really pay attention to reviews at all.

You come across as having a particularly jaded view of the mobile market (not saying you’re wrong) so I’d be interested to know where you would go at the moment?

Well as I said above they are all bad in one way or another, so I would suggest taking whatever gives you the best deal for your needs but make sure it’s not a yearly contract. Telcos will fail you at some point and you always need to have an emergency exit available.

At the moment I would recommend EE if you want decent speeds or Three if you need slower but unlimited data and/or a publicly routable IP (change the APN to 3internet).

5 Likes

Will there be a limit to how long you can roam abroad. I know some providers limit time abroad

2 Likes

:pray:

Of course, and thank you for the support! Definitely have a look at GiffGaff (yes, they’re on O2, but decent bundles at least and one of the better companies imo) :slight_smile:

Will have to double check that one. I mean, as long as you’re not going to live there…

One thing I’d love to do is partner with local networks to get you their SIM cards. Europe (the EEA) won’t be an issue, but until you can roam anywhere on the planet for the same price… E.g., I would not take one of our SIMs to Brazil (or anywhere outside the EEA really). So making it super easy to get local rates would be awesome. :sunglasses:

GiffGaff run on O2, and have done since they were a spinoff of O2…

1 Like

Of course they do, I even said it in an earlier post… :roll_eyes: Thank you!

Nick, another thing I’ve always wanted but have never found is multiple SIM cards linked to one account.

For example I enjoy mountain biking. For that I take a trusty Nokia with me. But I use it with another sim. So I’ve been in the situation before where there is no credit on that “emergency” phone. If it was linked to my main account I wouldnt have that issue

I am sure there are other with multiple devices who would like this also eg rather than having a data only sim for a tablet and a mobile sim it could share the same account

…just a thought

4 Likes

This. ^^^^ A million times this! ^^^^

1 Like