Underdogs, hot-coral cards and a new mobile network

Telefonica UK doesn’t even really want to exist if you listen to some circles, at least Telefonica doesn’t want it.

When I see their “creation” (as both an ex-customer and ex-employee) I fully understand them. :joy:

2 Likes

From my perspective it’s mainly as I work on a contracted basis and under heavy NDA. Often things I learn are not intended for my ears. :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the read, @anon23935806 @admdly! :smirk:

Yes! The first step is to do the best with what’s available; build a strong foundation. Then we can take on the more “technical” things (whether difficult or not by telecoms standards)…

2 Likes

Are you planning on offering packages for businesses where multiple sim’s can be managed with a single account etc?

Looking at a new provider for my business in the next few months and the current offerings as a business client make things so overly complicated I’d love to see some fresh thinking in the market.

2 Likes

Multiple-SIM cards is on the roadmap, but not something we’ll support from day 1. And even then, we’ll build it around families/friends as opposed to businesses.

“Zevvle Business” could maybe happen in the future… I’m interested though – what would you want to see? What’s missing, what could be done better? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi Nick, you’ve gone quiet so wondered if there any updates about how things are going and possible launch date?

6 Likes

Not seen this thread before so glad I’ve stumbled on it. Would definitely be interested when you have shared plans available. I pay way over the odds with EE just to keep my shared plan going because I find it way easier than managing 4 different contracts!

2 Likes

Hey! Thank you for asking — sorry, been head down recently (an email was in the works) :man_facepalming:

Honestly, things aren’t going great (at the moment). To cut a long story short, I’m worried about taking anyone’s money and, without traction (hard evidence of value), jumping into a cutthroat industry. “Hasn’t that always been the case?” you ask. Yep, and better to realise it late than never (I’m learning everyday). To put it in context, giffgaff lost £23.5 million in their first 3 years, and the plan is to do it on a dime in comparison.

So, traction (email signups don’t count). Because of the chicken and egg scenario (needing ££££ to get anything useful out the door, namely SIM cards), I think deposits is a useful measure. 500 people putting £100 towards their future mobile plan? There’s a business to bet on.

That’s an opportunity to do something useful beforehand — as much as I hate to say it, Zevvle is nothing more than an idea at the moment. Firstly, a helpful app without needing SIMs. Features are TBD, but think data monitoring/predicting across apps, usage limits, a realtime API, competitions with friends on who can use Snapchat the least, etc. (ideas welcome). Secondly, a community forum around mobile networks and what a great one will be (should have happened already; I’ve been slow…). Trying to build another giffgaff with a modern app and great customer service won’t cut it.

Yes, this delays everything, I’m sorry. It’s a few steps back and doesn’t feel good; a week ago I was working on a funding campaign. In the end it’ll be worth it — the startup graveyard is full of cool ideas and wasted money, so it’ll pay off to take the time and build something great.

Any thoughts on this I’d love to hear; tell me where I’m wrong, etc.

:v:

18 Likes

You’ve definitely done the right thing to take a step back and reevaluate rather than plow on and ignore your doubts. Your honesty is very refreshing and i’ll definitely keep an eye out for updates when you get things the way you want them :+1:

10 Likes

Still looking forward to hearing you’ve got your mojo back on this one at some point. A new way of approaching the mobile industry is badly needed.
I’ve been getting new phones and plans for my business and a charity I’m involved in recently, as well as a couple for family and on each occasion it’s been a pain, there have been hoops to jump through and it just feels like old business practices flogging us modern services.

3 Likes

Yes! Sorry for the lack of comms (lots of code… :computer: ); things are going really well. Currently finalising our supplier contract, then aiming for the first SIMs around the end of Feb. Very excited about what’s in the pipeline… I’ll send out an email either today or tomorrow with a couple more updates :slight_smile:

Hope you had a great Christmas (if that’s your jam…)! :christmas_tree:

14 Likes

Glad to see some news about this finally!

2 Likes

Update:

2 Likes

I hope we see something like Google Fi come from this! Seems much better than the old model (as long as the £/data is reasonable)

3 Likes

Out of interest, would you be able to publish an easy to get at list of all your roaming partners abroad?

2 Likes

Would love that

1 Like

Would you have the bonus features? Eg VoLTE, call forwarding, WiFi calling, etc?

1 Like

I suspect it may be the same set of roaming partners as their host network in the UK uses though.

2 Likes

It most likely would be, but EE doesn’t exactly make it super simple themselves, so it’d still be a bonus

2 Likes

None of that at the beginning due to their MVNO “enabler” not supporting it but it’s definitely planned down the line. :+1:t2:

At least that’s what I understood when I inquired about all that, so unless things changed dramatically I don’t think it’ll be available at release. The truth is that MVNO enablers aren’t really interested in offering these features (most of their MVNO clients get away fine without them, so why put the effort?).

1 Like