Under 18s accounts

Monzo have commented that there are plans to offer accounts for under 18’s (well 17 year olds) but it isnt on Monzos short to medium term plans.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Chapuys

I think they’re looking at 12 and upwards rather than just adding 17 year olds to their users. I certainly hope so as I want to move my kids accounts to Monzo at the earliest opportunity :+1:

2 Likes

Most high-street banks offer debit cards to those 11 and up. I hope Monzo isn’t any different (for my sibling’s sake).

Nationwide also offer a contactless card with their 11+ FlexOne account, which is different from most other banks I looked into (my Mum doesn’t even have a contactless card with her bank).

This mostly has to do with contactless cards in the UK running offline traditionally. Offline transactions are a risk, especially with under 18s who you can’t hold to a contract or give credit to.

An online-only card can have contactless, but traditionally didn’t in the UK. Monzo is (mostly, I know theoretically some offline transactions can now occur) online-only. This won’t be an issue for them to accomplish.

I never said it wouldn’t go below that number, just they have confirmed they would open it up in the future for 17 year olds ‘definitely’. As you mention, they would only ‘love to be able to offer’ it for 12 year olds at some point.

Hadn’t seen the ‘definitely for 17 and older’ post, so thanks for that :+1:

I’m sure that 12 and older will come in time as legacy banks offer this so both my kids have a legacy account, but it was half a day off work to go visit a branch to try and get my eldest access to his money because they didn’t have his signature on file even though he signed the original application form. Their mobile phone app and security questions and answers are a nightmare as there are far too many ‘passwords’ for him to remember, so he’s had to have a ‘snail mail’ reminder of info in the past meaning he hadn’t got access to his money until the letter finally turned up.

Yeah, I understand how this works - I’ve explained it to my Mum on numerous occasions.

It’s quite annoying having an online-contactless card though, as certain mobile-internet terminals take forever to authorise the payment (or timeout and make you do it again)…

Speaking of that, are Monzo cards forced online or do they also allow offline for contactless (the CA ones)?

Monzo cards are online preferring, this effectively means that they will ask the terminal to go online wherever possible but are still supported in places where it is difficult for terminals to get online or they can not for some reason. :credit_card:

2 Likes

Except for magstripe since the service code requires online :slight_smile:

I prefer it, available balance is updated instantly, and there’s no limit to the number of contactless transactions you can do in a row or anything. It’s also the future. ALL Visa contactless cards in the UK should prefer online by the end of the year. Amex cards already seem to from what I can tell. Mobile wallets always go online. And so forth… the days of offline contactless are numbered.

3 Likes

Correct, the question referred to contactless but ideally, no merchant should be sending unmatched presentments for magstripe Debit Mastercard transactions nowadays. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hmmm… if I’m ever in Montana in the summer again, I’ll have to see if they’re still doing it at the Logan Pass visitor centre in Glacier National Park… they’re a long way from a network connection up there, and I’m not sure how far along in the EMV migration US national parks are (I know they have it for ticket sales, but I don’t know about concessions).

Satellite internet should work just fine for them. You don’t need a lot of bandwidth nor latency for card payments.

I’m curious what happens in case someone sends a presentment for magstripe transactions without a prior authorisation. I know you’re supposed to accept all presentments but in this case the merchant is explicitly ignoring what the service code tells them to do, so in this case would you reject it based on that?

2 Likes

What about ‘kids cards’? My proposal is additional Monzo cards attached to my account which I could give to my children and I could put money into via the ‘pots’ system. That way I could give them an allowance and make sure their money is not being misused. When, they’re old enough they can apply for their own account and card.

There are kids accounts available with other providers that utilise cards, but this is more of an allowance system for younger children, to teach them about money and to make sure it’s not being mishandled.

4 Likes

Hello :wave:

We don’t offer accounts to under 18s right now or the ability to have two cards for one account, but we are looking at alternative ways people might want to utilise our accounts.

2 Likes

I would love a kids Monzo account! Daughter has just turned 6 she’s loving learning about money, but her only tool is an old school money box. I think she’s at the right age to be learning about money and today I’ve been looking at pocket money apps; I especially like the ones that can link to chores and have the opportunity to use pots: would certainly be happy to pay for something like this in line with other similar offers, like goHenry.

1 Like

Card terminals work fine on GPRS don’t they? Just may be a bit slow, where I work we utilise satellite broadband. Once you get past the intel latancy it’s ok.

They work but are slow. UMTS is the current expectation and I know LTE terminals are the future (though likely partially pushed by networks in some countries pushing forward to an LTE-only future more than any technical advantage).

2 Likes

Agreed. I’ve had to use gprs terminals before. Can be waiting a good 60 seconds or more.

WiFi ones are ok. but i find the Bluetooth ones bad. The range isn’t often good enough etc. Staff end up having to walk closer to the receiver.

1 Like

I wonder how long it will be until offline transactions are a thing of the past.

1 Like