Under 18s accounts

If we see phones being used, we’ll confiscate them

Kids need to be social. Whoever thinks simply banning phones will suddenly stop all the problems they cause (bullying over social media, etc) is stupid - in fact it will cause the opposite, as those that decide to abide by the rules and not use phones will become the targets of even more bullying by the “cool kids” who ignore the rules and still use their phones.

I don’t have a good solution against issues brought on by phones, but we just have to accept they are a necessary evil in this day and age. Better education around how to use them safely would be better than banning them IMO.

3 Likes

Turns out that Monzo are only giving accounts to 16-17 year olds. Dissapointing as nobody on this thread has really asked for that.

2 Likes

The problem with under 18 accounts is it’s much harder to electronically complete know your customer checks. So I guess starting with 16-18 and slowly scaling it upwards by lowering the age helps Monzo learn and improve the system as they go and should in theory protect them from fraud somewhat more than just launching it to all. As always it’s a fine balance between risk and reward!

4 Likes

How’s it harder? It’s just as hard as everybody else. (18+)

Under 18’s don’t have credit files. Under 17’s don’t have driving licenses

2 Likes

You can actually apply for a provisional license from 15.

If you get disability living allowance or whatever it is you can drive from 16.

3 Likes

You can apply for a provisional license to ride a moped at 15 years and 9 months but I digress.

I would concentrate on what we all have universally. A birth certificate. A passport (some teenagers have one) a proof of age card. (www.citizencard.com) You can get them for free if your at school or college. A letter (on official headed paper) from a school.

Most teenagers will have at lease two of the above. (birth certificate) Or would be able to get the other one. (Letter from a school)

1 Like

I’m unsure most 16-18’s will have two forms of ID. I didn’t as I only had my passport, no driving license and definitely no bills (birth certificate wasn’t accepted as a form of ID for some reason) with an address on and so when I got my legacy account, my mum had to write a letter to confirm I lived at the address I was registering at. So unsure what Monzo plan to do in that situation

How many people here are looking for it for themselves (because you are 14-18) - Compared with the parents who are looking for an easy to manage account for their kids.

For me - I want an account for my children (9 and 11), so they can use it, and understand the value in money.

4 Likes

Well that’s the same with everybody so it’s not something special with under 18 year olds

But how would you even validate a physical copy? The only secure way (for both electronic and physical copies) is to get the issuing authorisation to vouch for them. Everything else is just security theatre.

1 Like

I guess it must be harder or impossible for anybody under 18 to do that…:thinking::smirk::roll_eyes:

Not at all, most teens have passports and all the other banks do fine with verification.

2 Likes

Good news! :tada:

6 Likes

Getting there. My 12 year old keeps asking when she can get a Monzo account :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Me too. I would like to see a shared pot for my very young daughter. I would pay extra for a Monzo junior card so she can spend from a “pocket money pot”.

Then, when she is older, she can convert it to full-fledged Monzo.

-ah, so now we need a thread on children’s accounts for <15 year-olds!

1 Like

As one of those rare people who read most things here, I’ve seen this request from you on at least three different threads in the last 24hrs alone. Somehow, I think they’ve got the message… :grinning:

2 Likes

My daughter loves the “pink card” and how she can use it for Daddy and daughter breakfasts! :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.