TSB chat

Would that actually work?

It would probably confuse them so much they’d refund the money so nobody has to take responsibility :grin:

1 Like

I imagine they’d rather pay their lawyers a fortune than to give in to their customer…

Not sure given that they’re obviously wrong. It would be easier for everyone involved to just refund the money than get in touch with the legal department, let alone actually go through with litigation.

It doesn’t work with debt recovery companies so I can’t imagine it works with a bank. I could be wrong.

1 Like

Problem there is they charge interest for cash withdrawals. So based on that I’d have to pay them for the privilege of getting my own money back!

They normally only charge interest if you’re borrowing the money from them, not taking out your money from the account.

A lot of the time when I’ve handled complaints the resolution offered is often worked out on the basis of “what’s going to cost less”.

Never works. I get customers tell me all the time “If you can charge XYZ fee, I am going to charge for my time”
The response is always the same “you agreed to our terms, we do not/did not/will not agree to yours”

2 Likes

On the other hand, I am not sure whether the bank’s terms include claiming funds that are not theirs to begin with, as it’s the case here.

Well, technically, TSB claimed the money once as instructed and then the OP sent them more money.

They probably have something about positive balances in their terms and conditions (can’t say for certain though, never had a TSB credit card).

Surprised they’re being so awkward about it though. I did a similar thing when I thought a current account switch had gone awry as my Tesco CC direct debit hadn’t come out so I paid it manually - turns out it was just late. They gave me the option of either they could send it back or I just do a direct debit indemnity claim to get it back quicker. Took the second option, called nationwide and the money was back with me within a couple of hours.

Quite correct. Arguably it’s my fault (at least in part) for not having realised the regular payment was already processed, especially as i work with direct debits and know perfectly well they start pending a few days early!

know perfectly well they start pending a few days early

But that is still just an implementation detail which you should not care about as a user, not to mention that they have up to midnight of the day before the DD is taken to cancel the pending one, so there’s really no excuse for their behaviour.

TSB customers hit by latest IT failure

A spokesperson said the number affected could be ‘in the thousands’

Customers of TSB are complaining of being unable to access their accounts online, less than six months after a botched customer data transfer caused a crippling IT outage at the British challenger bank.

After aggrieved TSB account holders took to Twitter to complain that their usual online banking passwords were not working, TSB apologised twice on Monday morning for what it said on its Twitter account were “intermittent issues with internet banking and the mobile app”.

The bank said on Friday August 31 that it would be carrying out “planned maintenance to our online banking services” over the weekend.

“I would expect it to be in the thousands,” a TSB spokesperson said when asked how many of the people who had tried to log on to their online banking services on Monday had been unable to. The spokesman added that the cause of Monday’s issues was “currently being investigated”.

By now, I am surprised they are still in business…

I am not surprised by this

But I am surprised he held on this long

Net loss of just 6,000 accounts, according to that report. Surprising. Or maybe not given some of the statistics on switching bank accounts.

I still reckon TSB will be rebranded to Sabadell in due course. It’s a toxic brand now.

How is a loss of account classified?

Is it I’m closing my account, or I’m just not going to use it and CASS to somewhere else?

If you do a full CASS switch it will close your originating account. If you do a partial switch (unsure if Monzo offers this) your account will remain open. You don’t have to CASS to close an account.

The figures are counted on a simple ‘accounts open’ basis. 26,000 TSB accounts have been closed since the IT fiasco at Easter. But it has opened 20,000 accounts, presumably because it offers 5% interest.

1 Like

I would have opened a TSB current account to use as 5% savings… If opening accounts online wasn’t permanently down. :frowning:

2 Likes

You can do it in branch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Assuming the branches didn’t close because of the IT meltdown (disclaimer: Daily Mail rag). :joy:

1 Like

Only keeping my accounts open because they STILL owe me money that they lost back in April.

As soon as I get it back, I’m gone. I don’t use the account, but it’s sitting there until they put that money back.

3 Likes