Troubleshooting Why Isn’t This Feature Working / Available? 🕵 (open Wiki)

This Wiki (which can be edited by anyone) has been created to list the various features that don’t work ‘straight out of the box’ for users in the community to check, before they post a bug report. It might help you discover new features too :bulb:

iOS & Android Users

Unverified Users

Most user’s identities are verified straight away through the standard sign up process but some will need to submit additional information. While unverified, users will experience the following restrictions, to help protect against fraud:

• Limited maximum balance & card payments
  • Daily, monthly & annual load & withdrawal limits
  • ATM withdrawals in foreign countries are not allowed
  • No use of Monzo with friends (aka Monzo to Monzo transfers) or Monzo.me.

The limits before & after identity verification for the above features are listed here.

If you think you might be unverified, check with the support team using the in-app chat tool or by emailing help@monzo.com.

Monzo with friends (aka Monzo to Monzo transfers)

• The user must have a Monzo card & must have enabled Monzo payments with friends, from their Profile. This option is only available for users with version 1.9+ of the iOS app or version 1.3+ of the Android app.

• If they have not, the user will be displayed in your contacts list with the Invite button next to their name

iOS Users

Request money - Monzo.me

• Users must have Monzo payments with friends enabled in order to accept payments from Monzo.me.

• If they have not, Monzo.me will display an error message saying that their username cannot be found.
  • Payments from credit cards are not supported.

Monzo.me Limits

App Security

• A setting to require Touch ID in order to unlock the app, can be found in the privacy settings for your Profile.

Magstripe support

In the UK, almost all ATMs use chip and PIN to validate your identity when you try to withdraw money. However, that’s not always the case elsewhere around the globe and in many countries, ATMs use the magnetic stripe on the back of your card to dispense cash.

• You can enable magstripe support for 24 hours from your Profile or from a transaction that’s been declined by a magstripe ATM.

Android Users

Payments (send money)

There is no settings menu for Android users to enable payments from. Instead, the first time you click the Send Money button, you get asked to enable payments. After that you can view the contact list and make payments.

Request money - Monzo.me

• Payments from credit cards are not supported.

Temporarily Enable Magstripe support

In the UK, almost all ATMs use chip and PIN to validate your identity when you try to withdraw money. However, that’s not always the case elsewhere around the globe and in many countries, ATMs use the magnetic stripe on the back of your card to dispense cash.

This feature cannot be enabled from the Android app. However, if you email support, they can switch it on for you -

The following features from the iOS app are currently unavailable for Android users:

• Merchant Crowdsourcing Feedback
  • Search
  • Pulse Graph
  • Android Pay top up support
  • Targets
  • Data export

You can see which features are due to be added to the Android app next by checking Monzo’s product roadmap. Monzo is aiming to develop all of the same features from the iOS app for Android users.

Sign up to the beta version of the app to get access to & test new Android features sooner.

Logging Out / Clearing App Data on Android

The workaround for not being able to log out in the app on Android is to go to Android system settings → Accounts → Monzo → [Kebab menu] → Remove Account.

Most of the reasons you would ever log out though are solved by clearing app data in Settings → Apps → Monzo → Clear Data. This forces a complete refresh of every feed item.

If you don’t see a possible explanation for your payments not being accepted here, check the list of Known Issues / Bugs here -

& search the community for posts from other users.

If you still can’t find the issue, create a new post to report the bug! :zap::beetle::zap:

This post will soon be locked to prevent users posting replies but in the meantime, please create a new topic if you need to report an issue.

2 Likes