Trends - a big update to the Monzo experience

Initially I love it, it does what it says on the tin and makes it much easier to spot those dreaded “General” category transactions and retag them.
I am just going through a few months seeing how trends aligns with my own perceived view of my spending for that month.
I have both Emma and Moneyhub and it will be interesting to see how trends lines up with my usage day to day as I do tend to check both those every so often rather than using them to track week to week.

6 Likes

I can confirm what many of you have long suspected: I am not a Chosen One.

Sadness.

7 Likes

I’VE BEEN CHOSEN!

5 Likes

We’re only ~20% of the way through, don’t give up hope yet!

4 Likes

I just had a thought, it would be pretty cool if the old Pulse graph was brought back in a minor way here at the top.
You have your previous months spend graphed with your current spend for this month at the top so you could easily spot spike days.
It doesnt need to be huge but a running comparison between now and last month would be nice and not necessarily the pulse style but a graphing of previous against current would be nice. If people are saving they could easily see that a week in their spend is lower against the previous months first week.

7 Likes

Trends are an addiction to me. My health trends I’m obsessed over. So good road forward!

Based on the screenshot though, it’s not clear what the difference is between this and summary. Is there a pretty simple difference list? Or a map for how you see this going forward?

5 Likes

It covers more than individual summary for each account (or third party account if you have plus) so it covers all my accounts including joint account so its much better in that regard.

1 Like

A few things:

• I see that I have some transactions under pending, it would be nice if I could either see what category they will end up as if they eventually clear or have the ability to set which category I want them to have once they have cleared.
  • How do bill splits work across months? For example, I purchase cinema tickets on 31 July and the bill split is paid on 1 Aug? Presumably it will show that I have +£9 or whatever the split value is in August and make it look like I spent the full amount for both tickets in July? That might be fine but trying to get my head around it.
  • It would be good if the category for the bill split is automatically updated at the same time as the host payment and vice versa, rather than having to do them individually (I do view them as essentially being the same transaction).
  • Bill splits across connected accounts would be really beneficial for this as well so that I am not sending and having to categorise loads of ad-hoc amounts because I can’t use bill split functionality.
  • Currently Sainsburys CC isn’t an option for a connected card, but if it was would my payment of the balance be classified as a transfer (and therefore not be counted twice)?
  • Edit #100 - Could we maybe have arrows to move between months within the “This month” box rather than having to click at the top and select a month?

This is definitely making me want to properly categorise everything (which I haven’t before)!

12 Likes

It’s looking unlikely for me :sob:

My fingers will be glad though because they can have a rest from all the opening and closing of the app :laughing:

4 Likes

Will customers need to be running a particular minimum version of Monzo for this feature (once it’s rolled out)?

It says in the next sentence. 3.93.0

3 Likes

Currently, you’ll need to be on at least 3.93. We might have a slightly higher requirement by the time it’s out to all users, as we’ll be tweaking in response to early feedback

4 Likes

Refr… refre… ref… re… refr… refre… refr… refresh
Force Stop, run app, force stop, run app
Check labs, go back, check labs, go back, check labs

F5

Still nothing.

7 Likes

Also checking pms on here for some kind Monzo person (hint hint :rofl: ) to add me manually… I can dream right :wink: :laughing:

6 Likes

As others have mentioned, I would probably need more integrations, which in my case includes Starling. I do think integrations are going to be an issue for this feature to get the use you want to encourage.

Very excited to get and try this out whenever it goes live for me. As some others have said above, this really feels like core Monzo stuff to me - I literally signed up back in 2016 so I could start budgeting more easily without having to use other apps or spreadsheets.

Def agree that more integrations are key, as there’s no point having a 90% overview of all your accounts if other apps (Emma etc) can do 100%.

And am hoping that this signals us getting a little closer to a combined feed :eyes: :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Are there plans to make the months based on salary dates, like the summary is. I get paid on 25th so my monthly trends are skewed.

4 Likes

I really hope it’s not just calendar months!

5 Likes

Unless I’m missing something obvious, it appears so.

At the moment it just shows months, but there is a lot of white space underneath that looks like it could potentially house something more customisable at some point.

2 Likes