Trends - a big update to the Monzo experience

Sorry, but I still don’t find trends useful. I still use summary, both for budgeting and tracking my spending/committed spending. It would be great to understand what’s coming down the line to integrate the two.

1 Like

Is that not useful information?

1 Like

I don’t think so, depends how you do your budgeting I guess.

It would be a lot more useful if it actually matched my pay cycle. Monthly is pretty useless to me. I need to be 4 weekly to properly play around with it and see if it’s useful.

2 Likes

Ah ok, so for you the issue is limited pay cycle options, rather than a lack of per-category budgeting which I suspect is an issue for some when it comes to Trends vs Summary.

1 Like

One thing they really need to do if/when they sort out budgeting/pay periods is to recognise their other feature - get paid early.

For me, it’s pointless in Summary as I know the past period will always end the day before it thinks it will.

Because I don’t use Trends for budgeting, it’s helpful to look back on previously completed months where it doesn’t really matter when it started. I keep it as calendar months for simplicity.

That said, having custom periods would be super cool. Like most things, it feels very doable but needs a lot of thought and effort to make it simple and flexible.

4 Likes

Just dropping in to say we do have some exciting Trends news to share this week so keep your eyes peeled! :eyes:

36 Likes

Those eyes! How you tease us!

6 Likes

:eyes:

Very loaded statement…

1 Like

Okay what do we think it is? :eyes:

(Whack your suggestions below. May or may not poll).

In the meantime, when’s the excitement gonna drop?

• Today! Monday 1st
  • Tomorrow! Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • It’s not actually gonna come this week.

0 voters

And how exciting is it gonna be?

• Overwhelming
  • Whelming
  • Underwhelming

0 voters

1 Like

I’d like to see merchant trends that include connected accounts - something similar to the average spend and total spend on Monzo transactions but for connected accounts too.

4 Likes

So the two things I think we have a hint for (h/t to @davidwalton) are:

1. A merchant view
  2. Some form of trend line graph thing

:thinking:

3 Likes

Speaking of which, new Android beta just dropped. Bit delayed from last week.

I wonder what secrets it holds? :eyes:

1 Like

No real inkling of what it will be, but I’d like to see the changes needed to enable summary to be retired.

I think that means

1. Category budgets
  2. More budget/analytics period options

Seems feasible in a single update.

Is anything else needed before Summary can be retired?

5 Likes

Those are the essentials, aren’t they?

I’m wondering (/hoping) if they might look at the problem of budgeting and forecasting future spend in a bigger way, bringing in connected accounts etc. That would mean being able to plan for longer term goals (perhaps by setting up regular transfers) or finding a better way to distinguish committed/bill and discretionary spend.

But on previous form it’s doubtful they’d do it all in one go, isn’t it?

5 Likes

Your optimism always makes me smile.

3 Likes

I’m a broken man, Jonathon.

I know it’s not going to happen but I can’t help but hope :joy:

3 Likes

I imagine this has to be in the plans. If not now, then sometime in the future.

2 Likes

“WE’RE GOING TO HAVE THE MOST AMAZING AND TRANSFORMATIONAL EVENING OF OUR LIVES, REALLY COMING TO TERMS WITH OUR OWN INNER SELF AND GRAPPLING WITH SOME OF THE MORE EXISTENTIAL ISSUES PLAGUING OUR GREAT SOCIETY AND HOW WE CAN RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OF THE GREAT DIVIDE, AND I BELIEVE THE LOCATION TO THESE GREAT ENDEAVOURS PROVIDES THE BEST SPACIAL DYNAMICS TO ACHIEVE OUR OBJECTIVE IN THE MOST EFFICIENT AND COST EFFECTIVE MANNER!”

“… Peter we’re just having a pint in Wetherspoons…”

12 Likes

OMG you know me! :joy:

(Except without all the buzzwords obvs)

8 Likes

Marketing spiel gold.

No link in the eyes? Come on… :eyes:

5 Likes