What is a travel companion and how are they covered?

Hi,

I travel to Iceland tomorrow and I’m not sure if my boyfriend is covered under my monzo insurance.
We live at different address’. The t&c are confusing as it says “travel companion”

If he’s travelling with you, he’s your travel companion.

From my experience it usually means you booked on the same ticket/hotel on the same card but there are some insurances that just require you to say they are your companion.

1 Like

Ok so he should be covered with the Monzo Premium travel insurance then as we are on the same booking etc. And it says

“ What is this type of insurance?
This insurance provides assistance in the event of certain travel emergencies, which impact the safety and security of you, your travel companions or your close relatives.”

1 Like

Hi is this 100% correct? Thanks :slight_smile:

I doubt anyone here can say for sure, you’ll need to ask Monzo or read the IPID document (fact sheet) to see if they are included

1 Like

Hi @Lewis.nw & welcome :wave:

It is still the case. The current IPID (which I have just downloaded from the Monzo app) states under the top blue section “This insurance provides assistance in the event of certain travel emergencies, which impact the safety and security of you, your travel companions or your close relatives.”

3 Likes

You can read the terms here:

But for reference, Monzo / AXA refer to the beneficiary and partner as:

the Cardholder and his/her spouse or legal partner (any couple in a common law relationship
living permanently at the same address),

So if you’re not living together you might not both be covered.

There are a few clauses in the doc which use “you, your, beneficiaries” language - which would only cover your partner if they live with you.

And there are a few clauses (and exclusions!) that refer to “travel companion” more generally.

I changed the title so that anyone else wanting to search for travel companions can find this - it has little connection to the OP’s need.

1 Like