Transfer money back to my bank account?

Thanks pal! If I lose my actual bank card though I can simply transfer my money to someone else’s card y know. I’ll just bring a back up then! And yea they do seem pretty accommodating so that’s good ! Thank you!

when on holiday I tend to transfer enough money for the larger bills ( eg. hotel ) about 10 minutes before Im going to pay it in the hotel , I don’t tot up how much my whole holiday is going to cost before I go and transfer that amount before I fly - I transfer a reasonable amount ( couple of days spend ) and top up as I go - if I lose my card (to pay) or phone (to top up ) Im not stuck as I also have other cards :slight_smile:

You should ALWAYS have a fallback available. Monzo themselves recommend this (at least it was on my carrier letter that I got with the card. My paraphrase: “This is a beta product. It may fail. Always have a second card with you.”)

Even if they did not advise this, I would never travel with only one card: Cards can get lost, stolen, stop working, get blocked, get cloned, or simply not be accepted at a certain venue. I always have at least two cards: One I carry with me for spending, and one I leave in the hotel safe.

Personally I always take one “debit” (Monzo) and one credit card (I love the Halifax Clarity as it has no fees on foreign transactions, just like Monzo). I take a credit card, mostly because places like hotels and car rentals often put large authorisations on the card which can last for the entire duration of a holiday. If they do this with a debit/prepaid card it can very severely limit your spending ability.

One option for a 2nd card if you don’t want/can’t get a credit card is something like Revolut (although they are a bit buggy, so definitely don’t rely on them) or Starling. They both provide good exchange rates and (within limits) fee free cash withdrawals abroad. Crucially you can top up both of them with your Monzo card. So they would provide you with a way to transfer money from your Monzo card, should you need to (you obviously would need a record of your Monzo card details, and would need to unblock the card for the payment).

3 Likes

Hey is there anyway to return money to a bank account once it has been transferred to Monzo?

I assume you’re talking about the prepaid card and not the preview current account. In this case yes just raise it with in-app chat and they’ll refund it to whatever card you used to top up - can take a few days to arrive though so if your current bank allows you to deposit cash you might be better off just withdrawing it all and depositing it back in your account.

3 Likes

what happens when you exceed your yearly limits? do you have to wait for 1 year to claim your money back?

Besides if i take all that money out at once i will reach the limits and might not be able to use the card anymore. Any way to apply for an extension on limits or maybe contact support to have it transferred back?

I don’t think the limits would affect the possibility of refunding the money back to the top-up card, but check with in-app support to be sure.