šŸ‘€šŸ‘€šŸ‘€šŸ‘€ [Pay from pots with virtual cards]

Really interesting concept. One to definitely ponder over and see if itā€™s workable

1 Like

I think itā€™s a bit disappointing joint accounts are ignored but this could potentially be a good workaround. Admittedly not how Iā€™d want to do it.

But it means we can keep custom categories, I can keep my incredibly-important-to-me-dashboard, pots and cards for takeaways, food shops and then whatever is left in the account is mine and what she doesnā€™t transfer is hers.

But Iā€™d rather just use a joint account like I should be able to.

(Sidetrack, Soz!)

3 Likes

You can add the virtual cards to curve. This is a game changer and Iā€™ve moved everything back to monzo now!

5 Likes

You always could! It was the sneaky workaround!

1 Like

Didnā€™t know that, but to be fair the virtual cards when launched didnā€™t appeal to me. Now you can pay from a pot, itā€™s ideal!

1 Like

Well, wellā€¦ reminiscingā€¦

1 Like

Theyā€™re definitely passing by all the revenue opportunities that we chewed over, arenā€™t they?!

2 Likes

Maybe weā€™re hacking the features beyond what the target-market would do?

2 Likes

Probably!

I like to think what 4.0 might lay the foundation to do more innovative product stuff though.

Whether theyā€™ll be entrepreneurial enough, I dunno. Agile development is often the cult of user research, rather than taking an educated punt. And the bank is pretty risk averse these days.

But - if it were me - Iā€™d throw out a whole bunch of products and see what sticks. Starting with Ā£1/month connected kids cards.

4 Likes

I wonder if theyā€™ll make it where you can order a physical virtual card for a small cost (I can think of many reasons some include travelling so you can leave your real one at home or give a virtual to someone else such as a child and have it linked to a pot)

If they do I reckon itā€™ll only be Ā£5 since thatā€™s the cost for a replacement card

4 Likes

I would say this, wouldnā€™t I, but I still think a community product board would be an excellent idea. As would a crowdfunders NED on the main board.

4 Likes

I really think they ought to do this.

Revolut has made quite a bit from different designs. I think Monzo could do similar - both for the collectors (even if that sounds odd) and for additional physical cards for pots.

Tenner a card or Ā£1 extra on a paid subscription, maybe.

3 Likes

Subscription always. Forecastable revenue.

1 Like

I paid Ā£4.99 for a Revolut kids card to test it. It didnā€™t work out - but thatā€™s a good yardstick on what (most) people may pay for a physical card. A one-off cost though.

2 Likes

Yeah. But donā€™t forget weā€™re the customers :joy:

1 Like

To be fair, at least on TfLā€™s network, Iā€™ve not had a problem with this for as long as Apple Pay + Monzo has been a thing.

And with the Express Transit option in iOS, I believe you can still scan a card even with a dead battery

3 Likes

Express Transit all the way. So quick and simple, and can confirm it works even with phone dead for a decent amount of time.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been trying to keep up with this thread, skimming throughout the day, but is anyone able to summarise a few things for me please?

Cards can only be added to Apple Pay if theyā€™re linked to a pot?
Cards can only be linked on creation?
Canā€™t be de-linked after the fact, or linked after the fact?

Assuming these are intended restrictions for the full feature release, are they something Monzo are planning to address? Otherwise itā€™s going to be a bit of a pain getting everything set up and managed properly.

What happens when linked cards expire?

Also, assuming I understand the way this is implemented correctly, am I right in thinking it would now technically be possible to associate merchants to pots irrespective of virtual cards?

Apologies for being a @Peter_G, but I too am just very excited at Monzoā€™s approach with these features lately. Everything seems to be designed with potential future adaptations in mind, and Iā€™m loving that. Gets me excited for what might come next, but makes it hard to take a moment to properly appreciate whatā€™s already been built!

1 Like

Ahem.

3 Likes

Yes

Of the pot? No
But you have to create the card to add to the pot. You canā€™t link an existing card afaik

Link another I guess

Not that I can see unless you delete the card

I donā€™t understand what you mean

4 Likes