📰 Tom Blomfield explains how he built a modern-day bank - Stripe Atlas

(Alex Sherwood) #1

This interview is more aimed at entrepreneurs than developers - it isn’t as ‘techy’ as I was expecting :slight_smile:

I’ve never known Tom to speak American. In this he talks about “checking accounts” and trying Monzo out with “50 bucks”.

This feels like hints and clues, or could just be he feels he is talking to an American audience so should speak like them, like Steve McLaren to the Dutch :laughing:

(Alex Sherwood) #3

I’m guessing he spends a fair bit of time in San Francisco talking to investors so maybe he’s going native :us::us::us:

(Gareth) #4

Or it could just be the writer/editor localizing it…
(sorry to pop the bubble)

One way to find out! @tom why you speaking American in this interview? :upside_down_face:

(Brenda Wong) #6

Having worked at publications like this, it was so painful as someone who was taught the Queen’s English to use American :scream: But it does depend on the guidelines.

(tom) #7

Haha - I spend quite a lot of time in the US with investors, potential hires and regulators at the moment, so I’ve had to adjust my language. The Stripe interview was for a (primarily) US audience, so felt like I had to speak American :wink:

(MikeF) #9

With the American love of a ‘proper’ British accent I’m sure it was/would be very popular in vocal form.