Tide - Business Banking

there are half a dozen updates scheduled for later this year including big ones for international transfers

Where is this information? Do they have a forum? I asked to be a preview tester and they said they would sort it but then never got back to me.

They have a forum. As for previews, they put people on a list but nobody heard anything yet

Hereā€™s a link to their forum https://www.tide.co/community/.

1 Like

Any alternative for business banking online?

Fire Business fire.com

Account number and IBAN
GBP and Euro accounts
Transfers thru FPS, BACS and SEPA
API to integrate your accounts

1 Like

Thanks for the response but it has a bit high fees as I need lower fees for a euro account for a nonprofit organization, other alternatives with lower fees?

none that I know of online, you could just go to a regular bank (with branches)

The founder George Bevis explains the work going on behind the scenes:

ā€œā€¦international payments are our top feature priority and I regret that we havenā€™t got them out of the door already. Iā€™m happy to disclose why we havenā€™t. Essentially, it would have been easy for us to deliver outbound international payments (there are lots of partners with whom we could do that). However, inbound international payments require IBANS and that is far more complex to deliver (there definitely arenā€™t lots of partners with whom we could work, and weā€™ve had to build a lot of the core functionality from scratch). We could have launched an uninspiring version of the feature which converted all payments into GBP automatically (perhaps at an expensive rate changed by a broker), but that wouldnā€™t be useful for companies who maintain balances in different currencies.
Hence, instead, weā€™ve taken on the much bigger task of building a proprietary forex capability which will give you a unique IBAN and the ability to hold pots of money in lots of different currencies. We believe this will be the most sophisticated international payments capability for SMEs in the World.
This wasnā€™t the plan when we initially launched Tide: itā€™s an improvement on the original plan and does mean that the date of IBAN launch has been pushed out a bit. This is why we donā€™t publish a timetable: we know that our members are businesses who need certainty and we donā€™t want to commit to dates on which we might later backtrack. However: this feature will be worth the wait. Most of it is already built, but it is still a handful of months away Iā€™m afraid.
Standing orders are a much more straightforward feature. Theyā€™re on the roadmap, but actually youā€™d be surprised by how few members have requested them. Iā€™m sorry we donā€™t have them yet but it wonā€™t be long.
In our first few months after launch we had to focus on a lot of ā€œbackgroundā€ functionality which was invisible to our members but essential to ensure a high quality of service at scale. Now, more of the visible features are beginning to trickle through (e.g. the recent launch of TouchID on iOS, with Android just around the corner). Youā€™ll see more and more of this in the next few weeks and months: our pace of feature releases is increasing as we beef up our development team substantially.ā€

3 Likes

Have you considered Transferwise borderless account?

https://transferwise.com/business

would be interested to know your thoughts

1 Like

The biggest issue with their offer is that thereā€™s no card attached to that account. Can be problematic if youā€™d like to pay for online stuff for your business like domains, hosting, etc.

1 Like

While Tide have still not launched Multi-user or Multiple cards, Expend have launched this today, so Tide are being overtaken. Expend have a decent app and a web portal too.

Tide has just launched new look cards, which are portrait layout with the details on the back. I just opened up a new account with them for a freelance venture iā€™m working on. I know itā€™ll be very occasional payments in to the company account from clients and then back out to my Monzo current account when iā€™m paying myself so i donā€™t mind their 20p fees.

And they finally launched FreeAgent integration, which is perfect.

1 Like
1 Like

Good to see they have their priorities right :wink:

1 Like

What exactly is ā€œbusiness specific bankingā€ - What does Tide do for businesses that other banks donā€™t?

Iā€™m not a business owner, and from looking through their website, I didnā€™t see any real information about why Tide is good for businesses?

Itā€™s the approach more than anything - similar to Monzo in the fact you can open and run the account exclusively from your phone, except itā€™s aimed at limited companies.

Took me about 2 weeks to sign up for a business current account from a ā€œtraditionalā€ bank (a further month until my account was eligible for a debit cardā€¦). Tide was set up on the same day, card received very quickly after that.

Traditional banks can also tend to charge per-transfer fees in addition to a set monthly fee; Tide has pretty reasonable transfer fees but with no recurring banking fee, which can be nicer for a small startup.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks - What is stopping a business from using Monzo (or Starling etc) - Is it simply the ā€œnameā€ on the account?

They donā€™t have gold rims on their cards.

Thatā€™s the sign of a serious business

3 Likes